PDA

View Full Version : June: Animation Mini Challenge

Splinter
06-02-2009, 05:07 AM
This month's Animation Mini Challenge is: Lifting an object and putting it somewhere

Use your time wisely everyone. We have a whole month ahead of us, so start planning your setup. I hope to see something soon from everyone.

For anyone who doesn’t know of a site to host their WIPS I suggest trying Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/) or Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/). They are both very reliable video hosting websites and most people have access to them.

Here is a quote by Albert Einstein to think of as we work through the month.

"A person who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~ Albert Einstein ~

adrian2608
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Hello,
Any rules? I mean duration time, it's allow to render animation or post only playblast ,anyway great topic ,i try do something ,cheers!

Splinter
06-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Sorry I haven't posted any rules. Here you go:

Make all the WIPS in Playblast form, then if you choose you can create your final piece in a more robust renderer (NOT necessary, you can still post the final with a playblast).
all animations should last at least 10 seconds long, that way there will be more clarity with what is going on.
All participants must show there work-in-progress before posting the final.

mirkoj
06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Hello animators!
Ok, finaly wokring on one chalenge!

Here is my WIP: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5906826#post5906826
As this is my first work on chaleneg here any tips how/what/where. To post only on my WIP, post here, or post on WIP and make post here about update?

Thanks!
Lokoing forward to see more animations. Wake up people! :)

adrian2608
06-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I think that progress should be posted here ,because it will be clearer to follow ,so You become more feedback than in separate wip thread , but the last word belong to Splinter.

Splinter
06-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that the purpose of this thread, is for us to post our WIPS and our critiques. All will go within this thread and once I see that there are enough entrants than I will create a thread for our Finals which will include a poll (Now that I know how to work the polls) for everyone to vote on there favorite animation for the month.

So please post all WIPS here.

Splinter
06-05-2009, 05:16 PM
mirkoj - I really like the way your animation is looking so far. Right now the only suggestion that I can give is: in the beginning of your animation your character walks up to the water jug and moves it with with one hand, which at the moment makes the jug appear really light. I think you can emphasize that the jug is heavy by placing both hands on the jug, arching his back , and lowering the chin while he pulls it back for a better position to lift it up.

Looking good!!!

Thakur-TN
06-06-2009, 02:32 AM
i m new to cgsociety. I want to knew what is the rule to participate this competition.:rolleyes:

Splinter
06-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Anyone can participate in this challenge, I only ask that you follow the rules previously stated in this thread and try to post at least two WIPS before we see your final.

By the way welcome to CGSociety Thakur-TN

earchild
06-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi mirkoj,

I agree with Splinter that the initial contact with the jug makes it look way too light. to be honest, that little bit of business doesn't really need to be there, you could just get rid of it. my biggest crit on the placement of the jug is when he's going to put it into the cooler/dispenser. You have a pose where the bottle is almost horizontal, then it pauses, and then he flips it into place pretty quickly. I would speed up the placement of the bottle (I speak from experience here, water goes everywhere!), but you could offset it with some extra anticipation before he heaves it up and flips it into place, maybe lower the cog and have him arch his back forward before he springs up and reverses the back arch and then flips the bottle into place.

Good first pass, keep up the good work!

MrMike
06-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey guys,

I love this site and thought to make myself better I should be getting in on the forums and the forum challenges.

I have not done very much of charcter walks and runs so it is fairly new to me and I don't have muh of a clue on how to time it out right.

So I know this will be really healthy for me to get great feed back from you and sharpen my skill.

So I am all open to what you have to say good or bad.

Here is my first rough blocking pass on my animation.
enjoi.

http://vimeo.com/5137572

mirkoj
06-13-2009, 09:55 AM
MrMike:
Hey good for you to dive in :)
Few tips for you, I hope these can help:
- for that timing problem it is good to use video reference. If you have cam or webcam just shoot yourself acting a piece or walking, and then use that reference as timing guide and also for starting out at poses.
- I've noticed that his legs are sliding on the floor, I'm not sure if you riged that character and he don't have IK legs or? There are a lot of free rigs available around that are great for animation, I would sugest you to get one, play with him abit to get a grip of his controls and then start animating.
This is it for now, I would sugest to try this first and then just move up for the next step :)
Have fun animating!

As for lifting that jug with one hand, well it is ok to lift it with one hand but with nice subtle shoulders animation and keepeing whole arm straight, I wanna try to get that feeling into my animation, just get a good grip at the jug and lift it from the shoulders and up and still being able to see that in animation.
Anyway, im into last week of my class3 in Animation Mentor now, no assignement for this week plus got one free week after this one before next term starts so I will have more time to work on this piece. So till I've got something updated here, my whole class3 Animation Mentor assignement is here (http://vimeo.com/5137913)if anyone is interested :)

MrMike
06-13-2009, 07:32 PM
mirkoj:

Thanks for the tips. I will keep working at it and get some reference footage of me doing some walking to help it along. The rig came from Highend.com, so i didn't make it. I had him sliding to just so how it would look with him moving across the floor, instead of just having him doing the jump from pose to pose.

Thanks again for your help and I am going to work on it some more today.

Can't wait to see some more work come in on this challenge.

Splinter
06-14-2009, 05:12 AM
MrMike - I like where you are going with your animation. I think that it could help if you let the arm hit the box and lose momentum just a little, this will help create the anticipation for what's coming. Then when the arm catches up it throws the box off the table. This might help the viewer feel the weight of the box. I just wonder if your character might be leveled too low. The legs look like they are bent too much and bent all the time. This makes it look a little awkward. I could be wrong... I can't wait to see your second pass.

I think tomorrow I will post my key poses... I think. So let me know what you all think when I actually get it up here.

Later,

Splinter
06-14-2009, 05:18 AM
mirkoj - WHOA!!! I just saw your Animation Mentor assignment. That was really good! :bowdown:

MrMike
06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Alright everyone here is another pass of my animation

I might have to make it longer as I go to get up to 10 seconds.

http://vimeo.com/5173516

Splinter
06-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Hi everyone,

We are halfway through the month of June, and now would be a good time start exchanging ideas for next months topic. I have posted a new thread for the month of July's Topics Discussion HERE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5929410#post5929410).

See you there

Vidotto
06-21-2009, 07:33 PM
hi
im not used to post in this forum but i loved the mini challenge idea, everyone can join right?

im a little late but i think i can try. the dead line is the end of the month?

is there a winner every month or is just for study? i searched the may challenge topic but found nothing about that

with winner or not i want to participate

thanks

Splinter
06-21-2009, 10:58 PM
hi
im not used to post in this forum but i loved the mini challenge idea, everyone can join right?

im a little late but i think i can try. the dead line is the end of the month?

is there a winner every month or is just for study? i searched the may challenge topic but found nothing about that

with winner or not i want to participate

thanks

Anyone can join at any time I only ask that you try and post at least one WIP, and don't worry about when you post them just as long as they are submitted before the end of the month.

In regards to your question on whether or not this is for study or for a winner, we haven't actually elected a winner in the past, but I do like the idea. I will post more details on this feature of the challenge in the topics discussion thread for July. Thank you Vidotto for bringing it up. I have been thinking about it for a while now but didn't know if I should follow through. I will start a poll for best animation at the beginning of July.

As for late starts I have one... Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSp8BhEZu0Y&feature=channel_page) :D

Vidotto
06-22-2009, 06:21 AM
thanks splinter, that will be great, i found that animations are hard to get some critics and i think here will be a good place for that

about your block, if i can say something, i think that is sometimes where it appears too light, maybe not letting the arms bend and use a little more of the spine to carry the weight

----
i made some thing today, but im trying a new animation way (for me) that i saw in the jeff lew's dvd, almost a straight ahead animation, and that is getting slower than i imagined

the timing isnt correct, im just making the poses almost every 4 frames, there is a lot of frames and twiks to finish the first pass but im uploading what i've got for now

http://www.vimeo.com/5266994

thanks for the opportunity

Splinter
06-23-2009, 06:15 AM
about your block, if i can say something, i think that is sometimes where it appears too light, maybe not letting the arms bend and use a little more of the spine to carry the weight

Thank you for your advice I will try and put it into my animation. Good luck on finishing yours. I can't wait to see the final.

citizenvin
06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
me to going to come in.. so late entry.. i will post my work soon.

jerryziggy2004
06-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi everybody this is the first time I'm participating in the monthly test believe it or not. I've been wanting to get involved more but do to the demanding hours on my job I have been unable to participate. Work has finally slowed and I got a chance to finally animate. It's feeling pretty good but I'm still not satisfied. Any comments and suggestions would be of great help. Thanks for your help

June 2009 Animation Test - Render 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7w4GvZZ_oM&feature=player_embedded

Thanks
Jerry Zigounakis
VFX Artist / Animator
www.jzig-graphics.com (http://www.jzig-graphics.com)

Shibalba
06-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Looking good so far, but id love to see it without the moving cameras, kinda makes it hard to judge the animation.

citizenvin
06-26-2009, 07:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibu_zhh30wA
http://www.vimeo.com/5322199

here my work.. i just started.. but i need help to continue.. how to make the object and hand in contact.. i used with constrain, then with parent also.. but its moving away.. how to make in contact to lift the object...

Vidotto
06-28-2009, 05:43 AM
citzenvin - about what u said, u can show what are happening, but i guess that is problem with the parent, because when u use parent the objet uses the "father" object as a reference

for example, if u parent a cube in a ball, when u move the ball the cube goes the same way, but the x,y and z of the cube is always 0.

when u constrain the move is the same but the coordinates of the cube change

when u use both you are adding more information that is need, in the example before, if you move the ball 5 in x, the cube will move 10

if im wrong, please anyone correct me

one thing that i think you can work more in your animation is the moviment of the hips and the back, they are equal in all the frames, you can give more weight and follow through

---

jerryzig

i loved the idea of your animation, i wanna see finished

if i can, i want to suggest one thing.
the expression of the character shows that the box is really heavy, but he lift it only with the biceps, i think if you make he lift with more of the body will be better

---

ok now, about mine, im still working in the first pass, didnt worked in the time, and i dont know how i made that, but i changed something in the rig and the left arm ik doesnt work anymore... i dont know if i can just change the rig and the animation will continue, i will try to make this way

i will try to finish the block pass and start the curves cleanning this sunday... there is a lot of hours more but im enjoying =]

the link for this second wip is:

http://www.vimeo.com/5356891

thanks

freakbaba
06-28-2009, 06:49 AM
hey all,

Sorry for not being regular here and not taking part. I was busy wrapping up my last term at Animation Mentor and from July onwards I will be a haunting here as much as I can. And yes I do intend to take part in the animation sessions too !

I was going thru some of the WIP and everyone seems to be on the right track and in the right direction.

I am eagerly looking forward to sharing and learning in the July session with you all !

Cheers,

Anirudh

citizenvin
06-28-2009, 10:18 AM
thanks for your suggestions vidotto...

MrMike
06-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey there fellows,

I am done with my animation but I am trying to get it rendered out for you all.
But it looks like I will have to settle for a playblast
I don't think it will finish up today.

How is everyone elses animation coming along.
Today is the last day of the month.

Vidotto
06-30-2009, 05:28 PM
i had a few health problems this last days that costed me a lot of time, and besides that, i decided to change the animation and started again

im sure that i will not finish today, i will just post the block in playblast...

but it was a good study for me and next month i will be here again

Splinter
06-30-2009, 06:09 PM
I will do my best to finish my animation by tonight. Right now I have been taking care of my two year old. I should be able to find some time to work on it later. If not I will at least be able to post a playblast of what I end up with. I had a few issues with adjusting the timing... Hopefully with the experience I will be able to do better next month and get a good grip on everything.

See you all Later. :thumbsup:

Vidotto
07-01-2009, 02:24 AM
what is the timezone that i can utilize to post just in the last hour? =]

here we are at UTC-3, now is 22:25

MrMike
07-01-2009, 03:50 AM
Hey guys here is a finished pass on mine other then the render.
I didn't check the new camera I made and i rendered it out with a black
background and i didn't want that, I wanted it white but its all good.
The white background render should be done late into the night, tonight.
I could post it up tomorrow

I had a blast working on it and I learned a lot. I didn't really pick a super big object to pick up but i still learned some new things and it was really fun to test my skills and get better at it.

I already see that I have some things too fast and things but I plan to fix it some just to make it even better for myself to see.

Thanks for having the challenge, I will try my best to do next months but I have some heavy production coming my way and I am going to L.A. for a trip for about 10 days. So not sure how much time I will have to work on my animation .

So here it is.

http://vimeo.com/5399978

Vidotto
07-01-2009, 04:46 AM
hi guys

im posting my final too

ok, its not final, its just the block not corrected, but it was what i could to the deadline

i will try a rendered video just for a better view and post in the middle of the night or tomorrow

i will continue to work in that animation and i will post a better result, i hope =] ( and i will cut the walk, its too long...)

im thankful for that oportunity, i learned a lot in these few days and i hope to spend more in the july competition =]

the link is
http://www.vimeo.com/5403078

thanks

Splinter
07-01-2009, 06:56 AM
what is the timezone that i can utilize to post just in the last hour? =]

I would say go ahead and use UTC-7. This is where I am and would be easier for me to judge the deadline.

Sorry guys but I didn't quite finish either. Although it wasn't a complete failure because I did learn a lot from some of the things that were holding me back. I hope to do better next month.

Tomorrow I will Post the new thread for July's Challenge and set up a poll to find out who our first Winner is going to be. If there is only one complete entry that entry will go on to the "WINNERS" Circle unchallenged... so to speak.

My Animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6z0v_r7ExA)

Vidotto
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
congratulations mr mike, i loved your animation

now that you won, i want to make some critics if you dont mind

- when he stops is like the feets are glued to the floor and he goes to the front and return, i know we can say that is a cartoony animation, but i think the normal way is better, thinking on gravity and the newton rules of movement

but its just your decision

autres choses

- the gift fell too quick, the y movement (vertical) could be a little slower

- the gift is very light, and i because that i think it should bounce a little when he hits the floor

- the arms movement are a little twinned, they move always in the same frame, maybe you could change that a little

-----

sorry if i exagerated, but for me receiving critics is the best way to learn, please, critic mine =]

MrMike
07-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Everyone

haha I won, thats cool but I think if you guys had more time you would have out done me.
As I said before it was fun to do and it was a great learning time for me.

Vidotto

I think you should have won, your animation was great. I like how his hands would sway back and forth when he would walk. Also it was great when he got the pillar up and he moved with it to get it up to full standing. Great job man.

Oh and thanks so much for all the critics. The was the whole reason why I wanted to get in to these challenges so would would judge my work and tell me how to do it better.

I am all for that stuff and it can only make you better. Sure you might think your animation is great and then some one comes by and tells you all the problems with it but thats the only way you can get better.

Splinter

I really like where you were going with your animation as well.

A note:
You might have been planing this but I think it would have been great to see the legs bend more when he is walking with the cabinet in his hands to show that he is really struggling with it.

thanks for putting me in the winners circle.

I would have liked for you to use my one with the white background and sound on it but I finished that one up today and I am still waiting for Viemo to get it up.
But you might not want to use that one because I really finished it today and not yesterday.

Everyone

I had a great time doing this guys and I can't wait to see what everyone does in the month of July.

Keep animating!

One more thing here is my finished animation with sound effects on it.
Its over on youtube for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0LJqO1tDrs

MrMike
07-07-2009, 02:45 AM
At last my final animation got up on Vimeo
It was the render with the white background and I added some sound effects to it.
Enjoi

http://vimeo.com/5410568

citizenvin
07-07-2009, 07:07 AM
@mike

congrats you won... i need some info.. how u make that audio?? walking sound and gift falling down..

MrMike
07-07-2009, 03:01 PM
@citizenvin

I used this site called Soundsnap.
And for the voice that was mine. I just changed it up within Garage Band, on my mac I have.

citizenvin
07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
thank you mike..

Vidotto
07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
hi guys

i know that is late but i continued the june animation and i want some critics

i think the walk is a little bizarre and i dont know what to change

and i dont know if the weight impression is good

the link is http://www.vimeo.com/5553430

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.