PDA

View Full Version : My orc

-JT-
12-14-2001, 04:17 AM
Let's try this new forum :)
It's hard to get used to those red colors though. :confused:

Here is my orc textured.
I know a few people don't see orcs this way, i got inspired by warcraft (i don't personnaly know any orcs... ;) )
Some people told me warhammer orcs were this style too.
http://mapage.noos.fr/jtromeur01/orcjt.jpg

For those who didn't see the modelling, here is a link : http://mapage.noos.fr/jtromeur01/orcwip.jpg

I'm still working on the texturing, it's not the part i love the most (i enjoy modelling more) but don't hesitate to give me tips. :)

Taoizm
12-14-2001, 04:22 AM
I think he looks too lean for what I envision an orc to be. In my tiny little mind I see them as more squat and heavy featured. Then again I don't know any personally either :)

Duhreetoh
12-14-2001, 08:27 AM
Nice, nice. He looks very much like Blizzard orcs. Is it max?

hmm...love the arm band, why doesnt he have two?

chrom
12-14-2001, 08:27 AM
very nice orc dude

but if it is 3d max made, /i think it is /turn the shag fur geometry on and increase the tickness of the fur, looks more real and good.

keep the work and show it here

cheers
.chrom

-JT-
12-14-2001, 09:08 AM
Yes i did it with max, i used a skydome for the lighting (about 170 lights), i'm not too good with lighting so i'm trying different techniques, here i like the fact that it's not a photorealistic rendering.
About the fur, i don't handle it well yet but i like it a lot. You're right Duhreetoh, he should have two arm bands. :)

chrom
12-14-2001, 09:19 AM
oh man skydome with 170 lights/very hard to the cpu/
try with vray,very fast and real GL

lildragon
12-14-2001, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Taoizm
I think he looks too lean for what I envision an orc to be. In my tiny little mind I see them as more squat and heavy featured. Then again I don't know any personally either :)

I'm with Taoizm on this one, Battle orcs should be more stout, heavy set maniacs ;) but this looks very well done bud, top notch, I also agree with Chrom and Vray, try it :)

regards

pascal_blanche
12-14-2001, 11:45 AM
same crits here.. If I remember, you posted it without the stuff on it and people just helped you with the proportions.. more bulk like ..huhuh after all it's question of taste, and your character goes better and better.. you did a hell of good job, cant wait to see it finished, maybe you can just play with the pose a the end, to make him litle more beast like ;)

Cryptkeeper
12-14-2001, 01:23 PM
nice, looks good, I like the way it looks, glad you didn't make it how ppl expect it to look, Ive been getting bored with that style lately.

Ibanezhead
12-14-2001, 05:30 PM
Looks great... As far as the texture is concerned it needs more dirt and scratches, especially around the base of the horns on the pads. The teeth seem like they should be less uniform and look as if he needs braces. Also you may want to add Bump, Spec and Gloss maps and a key light, if you haven't already. If you have then you may want to crank them up a bit.

Keep up the good work!

Vic

-JT-
12-15-2001, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone, every comment is important. :)

Pascal, yes i have to think about a pose and a background ,but i have to admit that i don't have your talent to set up an "atmosphere". :)
Ibanezhead, i'll try to dirty him down as you suggested. And yes i have a key light, i'll push it a little.

Chrom, Lildragon, i tried vray but couldn't render anything, the porblem is they don't have any help or tutorial so i don't even know what button to push, it also crashed max a few times. I guess i'll wait until a more advanced version is available. :)

chrom
12-15-2001, 06:12 AM
first turn on the shag geometry-vray don't support shag engine from now

use direct computation for gl, try with 5-6 samples for fast preview
for final pix increase them-11,16 its cool

don,t use irradiance map- this is pseudo GL, not realistic results
/like FR default gl/

just put some colors of the environment/blue for example:)/
and one omni and everithing its fine

and check the time and date on your pc, the beta of vray expires
on the end of 2001/may be this is the reasons for crashes/

cheers
.chrom

-JT-
12-15-2001, 06:17 AM
Wouw super quick :)
Thanks chrom, i saw what you did with this renderer and it's true it's impressive, so i'll give it a try.

-JT-
12-17-2001, 02:00 PM
Here i worked on the textures a bit more, i also pushed the bump and the key light.
As some people recommended vray i also did some tests, it seems real good but i still prefer the skydome, in this example it's a lot quicker for a better result on colors (less "washed").

The skydome uses 175 target spot lights and one target spot (key light) with raytrace shadows. The vray uses global illumination and the same key light.

http://mapage.noos.fr/jtromeur01/skydometest.jpg

lildragon
12-17-2001, 03:14 PM
nice work!! the specular map is beautiful, but I really like the dome better ;) it gives your character a 'richness' that is very nice, he maybe a lean orc but he's packing.... make he tall like 7' 5"and that would make hime intimidating ;)

btw what the heck is that as your avatar? ;)

wolf
12-17-2001, 04:00 PM
Nice one.
The spikes on his shoulderpads looks like rubber, and definently not sharp.
Yeah, a little Warhammer style, but more like Blizzard.
Warhammer orcs would have a more round head, look dumber and have bigger eyes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.