PDA

View Full Version : This node is type vector...

joie
06-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi there;

I'm getting this error all around my render and is getting me nutts because I don't know if it is important or not.

"node1" is type Vector, "node2" returns type Color.

The render continues, but, since I have lots of references, I'm getting thousands of errors like those.

s far as I know, type Vector is three channels, like RGB, so I don't know where the error is since Color is also three channel.

How can I change a vector type to Color in order not to get this error?.

Thank's in advance.

InfernalDarkness
06-01-2009, 10:13 PM
...you've converted a bunch of PFX to polys, or something like that?

Look in your material nodes and you'll see all the multiply/divide switches everywhere. If you've converted PFX to poly, generally those switches are only affecting the specularity. Remove these switches and plug the color node into the material's specularity directly, and make sure to delete all those multiply/divide switches, as you really don't need them in this case. They can be useful, but I think when they wrote the PFX conversion utility a long time ago, they kinda overdid it on the PFX shaders.

(for instance, all the PFX shaders end up as blinns/phongs with .5 reflection values, so I always end up turning those down for things like plans, rocks, fire, etc.) It would have made more sense for them to convert with a default zero value, and let the user turn it up as necessary.

joie
06-01-2009, 11:07 PM
No, I haven't use PFX at all..., but I've used many tripleShadingSwitch utilities and so on..., does it matter?.

InfernalDarkness
06-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I generally run into that error when I'm using PFX plants to make arch/viz scenes, which is why I assumed you had the same error.

It only appears to slow down, but I'm not sure how that works. Perhaps it's only reporting the error and moving on, but in the case of shaders operating properly (producing the expected results) in mental ray, I think it may be an issue. I'll double-check and get back to you after a few tests, or perhaps someone more experienced with MR will know if these errors slow down a render or not?

achoury
06-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi there;
I'm getting this error all around my render and is getting me nutts because I don't know if it is important or not.
"node1" is type Vector, "node2" returns type Color.

Hi
Just use JS_Vector_to_Color to solve the problem. Download here (http://www.pixero.com/downloads_mr.html)

/Rachid

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2009, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.