PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring digital artist, software questions.

Haqu
06-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Hello cgsociety.

Basically, I just recently realized that I really enjoy digital art and I'm even considering to take as career. I've been doing plenty of research mainly on concepts, software and general workflow of the different forms of art that can be made. Long story short, I have some questiosn regarding Zbrush and a third party such as 3D Max and their application.

I'm not to sure when each program is used for what, which will alter the software I decide to learn in my free time until I can go to a post-secondary school.
Is Zbrush better than using Max for modeling most of the time?
Would it be ideal to have both softwares?
Is that the standard? To work on models with both a modeling software and a 3d handling software?
Would it be good to learn both softwares with modeling/animation in mind? Or is it really not necessary?

I'm sorry if the questions don't make much sense and if this is the wrong section but I'm new to the community.
Answers are highly appreciated and thanks in advance :)

MrPositive
06-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Max is a standard 'do it all' 3D software application for modeling, texturing/shading, lighting, animation, etc. It could probably be used alone to do an entire movie. Whereas, zbrush basically has one goal in mind, to detail and sculpt high polygonal meshes for characters, architecture, etc. It's far less robust and because it serves one purpose, it can handle massive amounts of polygons, whereas a Max or Maya cannot. If you want to be a character modeler, you will probably need both. However, with zspheres and the ability to polypaint in Zbrush, you can just get by with it (though zspheres drive me insane for correct topology, so I've stuck with layout of a low rez cage in a 3d software first).

Haqu
06-02-2009, 02:41 AM
Thank you very, very much.Currently I'm learning modeling in Max, and I just bought a book by Scott Spencer for a better understanding of Zbrush and some technique. It is a long, hard process but looking at the work in the forum is the best motivation.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2009, 02:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.