PDA

View Full Version : Anime/ Cartoon Eyes??

Infinity3d4life
07-21-2003, 02:38 PM
Not sure if this question has been asked here before, but is there anything that you guys may or may not do when modeling eyes for anime/cartoon style characters?? I have ALOT of trouble getting the correct geometry around the eyes in order to make them look right.. IS there a modeling tutorial or something that someone can direct me too that may help me out? This is getting to be frustrating, and i know that someone here can help..

oxygen_77
07-21-2003, 07:45 PM
If I know I'm going to be creating a character with a strange shaped eye I first make the eyeball and then on a separate layer I make an outline of the eye's shape from a head-on perspective (i.e. looking directly at the front of the eye). I then copy the eyeball to a different layer, and do a solid drill to it to sketch the shape of the eye on to the eyeball. Then I cut all the stuff I don't need and start making the geometry of the rest of the eye (eyelids, etc.) using the lines created.

Celshader
07-21-2003, 10:18 PM
I don't have a tutorial, but if it helps:
http://www.celshader.com/images/bboards/besm-eyes-geometry.jpg

This is the geometry I used for my BESM character (http://www.celshader.com/gallery/besm/).

Infinity3d4life
07-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Hey thanks for the replies... I want to know if you have a seperate object for the pupil/iris area and you just move that across the white part of the eye for animation?? I hope that makes sense...

kretin
07-22-2003, 03:28 AM
My cartoon eyes tutorial on the Newtek site works really well for anime eyes. Using that method you can use any type of eye geometry whether the iris/pupil is modelled or just texture mapped.

For best effect I like to model the eye fairly accurately, that gives you the best highlights.

gruvsyco
07-22-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by kretin
My cartoon eyes tutorial on the Newtek site works really well for anime eyes. Using that method you can use any type of eye geometry whether the iris/pupil is modelled or just texture mapped.

For best effect I like to model the eye fairly accurately, that gives you the best highlights.

I had no idea that was your tut. Nice!!

Infinity3d4life
07-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Is this the tutorial you are referring to..
Tutorial (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/cartoon-eyes/index.html)

If so i'm gonna take a good look at it, but i might still have some questions for ya Kretin... Thanks again..

kretin
07-23-2003, 07:19 AM
Yep that's the one. And ask away whenever you're ready :)

paul k.
09-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Is this the tutorial you are referring to.If so i'm gonna take a good look at it, but i might still have some questions for ya Kretin... Thanks again..

Yep that's the one. And ask away whenever you're ready

I have a question if the offer still stands, Kretin... I tend to do pretty elongated eyes when I draw. I then go to make the model and doin a strictly round eye just won't work. However as you would expect when I go to animate the eye in Layout it doesn't work either. I was trying to learn from your tutorial but I was wondering about the part were after you set up the bones and stretch the eye to fit the eye template how it maintains its shape when rotated around?? Am I missing something very obvious or are you stretching it to fit every time you move the eye? This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Any help you could give would be very much appreciated.

Also If you need a visual example I would be happy to post one.

Thanks!

Remi
09-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Kretin's tut is top notch....I came here to recommend it and that's what i'm going to do....do it....you'll never regret it...i've used his method hundreds of times....great bit of info he has there...good job Kretin....:)

kretin
09-06-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks Remi :)

Paul, make sure you follow all the steps in the tute, and it will work for ya. The theory behind it is...

Child items inherit any type of translation from their parent items, movement, rotation and scale.

So if you scale the parent/base eye bone to make the eye oval, flat, whatever... the child/rotating eye bone inherits the parent/base eye bones scale regardless of it's own rotation.

This is how you can get the eyeball rotating within the scale/shape set by the base eye bone. Once you've set it up, you can forget about the parent/base eye bone, you only need to rotate the child/main eye bone, whether you do it manually or target a null.

Remi
09-06-2003, 12:37 AM
That...and you can change the shape of the eye in the animation too using the parent/shape bone....which is always good for cartoony eyes....;)

Tom Wood
09-06-2003, 01:07 AM
Here's a link to a tut by a fellow that worked at Big Idea. It's for 3DSMAX, how would you do the same shape deformation, near the end of the tut, in LW?

http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/eyerigging/

Thanks,

TW

scotttygett
09-06-2003, 03:15 AM
MAN! What can I say?! THAT IS ONE GREAT SYSTEM, KRETIN!

I browsed the tute a ways back, but I didn't get the gist of it. It sure works!

Thanks for the endorsement Remi, without it I might not have opened up Layout to see for myself. That is so intense.

kretin
09-07-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Tom Wood
Here's a link to a tut by a fellow that worked at Big Idea. It's for 3DSMAX, how would you do the same shape deformation, near the end of the tut, in LW?
There isn't an easy way to do that type of deformation on eyes in LW. Check out these scenes for some tests I did for "egg" shaped eyes:
http://www.zerogravity.com.au/lw/EyeDeformTest.zip
http://www.zerogravity.com.au/lw/EyeDeformTest2.zip
but they're fairly limited, because the displacement modifiers used only work on entire objects, so you have to have your eyes/eyelids as separate objects which I don't like to do unless I absolutely have to.

Until LW has cage deformation like Max, it's limited in what can be done in this area. You can use MDScan/plug to do cage type deformation, but it doesn't work with eyes because it happens after bones instead of before, although you can use this method if you aren't using bones to rotate the eyeball, using a texture reference object for example...

But to be honest, I have never really missed it. I find I can get perfectly good emotion/expression out of cartoon eyes just by adjusting the scale. I feel distorting the "shape" of the entire eye like that is unnecessary. If you look at 99% of 2D cartoons, the eye doesn't change shape like that, but does change scale. The impression of the eye changing shape is often given by shaping the eyelids, which is something easy to do in LW, and that I use all the time...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.