PDA

View Full Version : Super Basic Newb Question On Motion Builder

TheGreenGiant
07-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Hello!

before I slagged with the "use the search function" remarks, try looking for MOtion Builder in this section :D.

Anyhow.. In the latest edition of 3d World Mag, you get PE edition of Motion Builder 4 free with the magazine and I didn't pick up the mag today cause I was a bit poor today - but it got me thinking about the value of picking up the package and learning it.

Thing is - I"m a Maya user and I can model and animate fairly well - I was wondering if the workflow of moving files over to MB to animate would make the animation process smoother/easier and whatnot. I really appreciate any input on this that anyone can supply me with. I wouldn't mind spending some time with a package if at the end of the day, it means I can animate better/quicker/more intuitively. Also, are there import/export issues between MB and Maya that I should know about?

THxs!

solar power
07-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Watch the Free Training Videos @ http://www.3dbuzz.com/

That will give you an idea of the capabilities and workflow fo MOTIONBUILDER.

TheGreenGiant
07-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Hi! Thanks for that comment - I'll pick up the 3d WORLD mag and save myself the download.

LFGabel
07-22-2003, 01:53 AM
Hey Green Giant,

Do you love both rigging and animating? I mean *really* love rigging? I know the concepts of rigging and can do it if necessary, but I don't love it. I am an animator. MB takes on most of the riging for you, and gets you animating faster.

Compared to Maya, LW, and Messiah, I found the workflow better in MB.

Getting models and animation in and out of LW is a breeze, so I would imagine the same ease with Maya.

Solar Power's right, though. Take a look at the Motionbuilder VTMs. I was sold as soon as I saw the MB rig in action.

rebo
07-31-2003, 06:02 PM
If anything you should get motion builder because FBX is currently the best format for exchanging animation and models between all the 3d aps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.