PDA

View Full Version : Simple Texturing like Pixar/Dreamworks movies

KingSRS
05-29-2009, 10:04 AM
HI

Iím currently working with a friend of mine on a short movie named Badman (translated to English Bathman). For this short movie we wanted to make the same style as the short movies of Pixar.

My questions know is, does someone know how to get the materials like that? Which programmes, settings or texture style?

I would appreciate every help that i an get.

Ty and peace

klingspor
06-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Pixar does a lot in procedural shaders wherever they can get away with it. I guess that could be described as their "look".

If you look at anything Toy Story, A Bug's Life or the characters in The Incredibles you'll see that they use hardly any painted textures at all.

The shaders may actually be pretty simple in many cases, but the lighting is usually very intricate and refined and is also an integral part of what defines their look.

soulburn3d
06-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Pixar does a lot in procedural shaders wherever they can get away with it. I guess that could be described as their "look".

If you look at anything Toy Story, A Bug's Life or the characters in The Incredibles you'll see that they use hardly any painted textures at all.

Pixar uses plenty of hand painted and photomanipulated textures nowdays, including on the Incredibles. Procedurals certainly still get used, but blended with other stuff.

To answer the original question, there really isn't one particular program, setting or "style" used, just lots of talented texture painters and shader people trying to make the best work they possibly can. So no magic bullet I'm afraid, just lots of time and energy.

- Neil

KingSRS
06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Pixar uses plenty of hand painted and photomanipulated textures nowdays, including on the Incredibles. Procedurals certainly still get used, but blended with other stuff.

To answer the original question, there really isn't one particular program, setting or "style" used, just lots of talented texture painters and shader people trying to make the best work they possibly can. So no magic bullet I'm afraid, just lots of time and energy.

- Neil

ty people for your answers

and neil can you recommend me some tutorials i can follow to learn to texture i know the basic/advance like unwrap and uvw mapping

soulburn3d
06-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, check the sticky threads on this forum for one, Leigh has some good info on texturing. This one is great for hard surface modeling...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024&highlight=hard+surface+textures

That might get you started.

- Neil

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2009, 10:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.