PDA

View Full Version : texture maps...

|[FXP]|
07-21-2003, 06:08 AM
Hi, I'm fairly new to lightwave and wondered if someone could point me in the way of a tutorial or tell me what to do... I've been playing with lightwave and making all sorts of crazy shapes, so today I decided to make some models of guns and skin them. However, I'd like to do my texturing in photoshop. When i use other programs I export a map, then set it to a semi transparent layer in PS and build up a texture upon that.
Is there a feature in LW so i can export a map? I've looked and couldntfind anything so any help would be appreciated, thx :)

Finkster
07-21-2003, 06:18 AM
Yep you can do that. Go to file...export....export encapsulated postscript.
But you would be better off using the much more useful UvImaginator plugin, found here:
http://www.3dcybercorp.com/software/uvimaginator/index.html

|[FXP]|
07-21-2003, 06:23 AM
thanks! :beer: I'll give it a go and post the first stuff i've done in LW a bit later :thumbsup:

|[FXP]|
07-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Only been using LW for about 3 hours and I'm starting to like it. Nothing too good, but for the first thing I've modeled that bares resembelance to anything I'm quite happy with it. The texture's from an airsoft site...

Triple G
07-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Just curious....has anyone else tried using the OSX version of this plugin? I get an error when I try to add it..."0 plugins found in 1 file." :hmm: Well, I'll fire off an email to the author and see what's up.

CG.p
07-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Finkster

But you would be better off using the much more useful UvImaginator plugi

Most people that suggest this plugin don't know that modeler exports eps imges of viewports. When it was brough out it was a lot worse than the built in one too.

What does it do that the built in one doesn't?

Triple G
07-22-2003, 12:14 AM
Well, with the Export EPS command, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I can't seem to figure out the reasoning behind it. It says "All foreground layers empty. Nothing to export." Even though the selected layer clearly is not empty.

CG.p
07-22-2003, 12:27 AM
What version of LW you running?

Triple G
07-22-2003, 12:35 AM
7.5c, OSX 10.2.4.

Finkster
07-22-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by CG.p

What does it do that the built in one doesn't?
It's not that EPS export doesn't output well, you just have a whole lot more options to tweak your UV templates to your liking with UV imaginator. It also allows you to export to any format (i like to keep all images as .tga), among other things.
Here's a comparison of the two:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.