PDA

View Full Version : Character - Female Head

Heber
07-21-2003, 03:50 AM
hi guys, im making a head for practice and i need crits on the modelling , this is the first time i model a human head before and im not sure on what needs serious attention , its all patch modelling done in xsi 3.0
-thx :)

wire / shaded:

http://www.cdis.org/~halvarad/crit.jpg

jrwells
07-21-2003, 08:49 AM
First off, the front view shows the head as too flat up top, or it could be a result of front of the face extending too high. Your lips also should not be so extended from the rest of the face at the corners. The temples are a bit exagerated. The nose looks good, except that it comes to an abrupt point in the middle of the eyes and along the seem (possibly something that will be worked out when the face is finalized after mirroring).

jellyfish
07-22-2003, 12:29 AM
Good start so far. I think the notch at the top of the nose, the one between the eyes, needs to be much further in toward the eyes. This would lessen the alien feel a bit.

It's strange, but I like your low-poly wireframe more than the smoothed result. There is more definition around the mouth, especially, that seems to get lost in the smooth. In particular, the insides of the lips are very pointy or something, it's disturbing, usually the lips are the roundest and most appealing part of the face. Also, the little notch in the center of the upper lip (under the nose) should be more defined to match her distinct facial features.

Hope this helps!

jellyfish

Heber
07-22-2003, 01:25 AM
great advice guys , you 2 really know what your talking about , update soon :) thank you

digital_rhino
07-22-2003, 02:34 AM
Good start. I agree with whats been stated above. The bottom of the nose (nostrils/tip) look pretty good, but the bridge is too sharp. I also think the cheekbones are set too high. They should be occuring lower on the face, and shifted under the eyes...that might make the face look a little thinner to. The jaw should be more slender too.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Heber
07-22-2003, 03:39 AM
update & still going : (thx for crit rhino, workin on that now)
i gave her a nose job and tried to fix the sides of her lips , which is very hard to do for some reason , pulled some random points as well ,
http://www.cdis.org/~halvarad/update1.jpg

jellyfish
07-22-2003, 06:12 PM
From what I can see at this angle, the lips look much better (can you give us a straight-on shot / side shot again?) I think now the focus should be still on her upper nose / forehead, the curve of this area seems wrong. Of course, some people have wierd-looking foreheads, but I think her forehead is still too small for her face. Remember, the face takes up only half of the head vertically, the rest is forehead. And, the forehead slopes back to the crown of the head in too flat of a curve, this should be rounder IMO. Also, from side to side the forehead comes to too much of a point in the middle where it meets the nose, and should be more square. The brows are good, but the forehead above them needs tweaking.

On your update, it looks like the eyes are much larger than originally. I think this was a mistake, the original eyes were just about the correct size for the face. Remember, we put a lot of importance in eyes, but they really aren't very large in the face.

Do you have reference drawings or photos you are going by? If not, I'd recommend finding a couple that match and closely examining the proportions. It seems like you are falling into the trap of all early artists, of creating something as you THINK it should look instead of as it actually looks. I did this too, so don't think I don't sympathize.

Keep trying, it's coming together...

jellyfish

jellyfish
07-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Oh, and I like the size of her jaw. Leave that alone, if you can, it gives her personality :)

Reo
07-22-2003, 08:30 PM
alright this is a good start....but you'll need to pay a bit more thought to your edge loops....

try to get the mesh to move like this.

I'll be around on thursday if you need

http://www.cdis.org/~gverhage/crit copy.jpg

Melquiades
07-22-2003, 10:06 PM
well things are definately developing, I think that the lips, jaw and bottom of the nose all look much much better now - really good in fact, they don't need any more attention for the moment
I've scribbled over your image a bit to show you where I believe you need to tackle next, the most important part being bringing in the top of the nose and bringing the whole eye section down to the middle of the head. (as jellyfish said above)
http://www.firegoby.com/melquiades/markup.jpg

it's getting much better, so keep it up and I look forward to seeing your updates,
hope this helps,
mlqds

Heber
07-23-2003, 06:11 AM
you guys are awesome , well i havent had time to work on the head since last update since i have other homework to tend to , but thx alot for the crits/comments as for reference i am working off an angelina jolie pic i found on fineart , but i am not trying to recreate her ,rather i am using the pic just to capture the facial features, well i will work on it tomorow and post an update , and reo ill find ya on thursday so you can rip it apart :)
thx again , it helps me a great deal :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.