PDA

View Full Version : Portal light on curved windows

3DRenderer
05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a pretty complex model and am now trying to render the interior(in mental ray). A lot of the building is glass windows and I have 2 areas that have curved shaped windows to them. On the rest of the windows im using an area light- portal light-blackbody. Those lights also have to be pretty much flat with the window panes too I believe so no artiffacting or unwanted light gets in.

So how would I go about using that for my curved part of the glass???

blazelet
05-29-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't know for certain that this is what you're wanting, but have you tried playing with the cylinder area lights? Perhaps you could shape one of those to fit your needs?

3DRenderer
05-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I have looked into those different types of area light shapes, such as the disc, cylinder, etc... But I am not quite sure on how to use them and dont know if you are able to manipulate the shape into something to fit ones certain needs? Thank you though, and I will investigate.

ytsejam1976
05-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Never for this. You use two arealiaght and distribuite that in a good position.

bye
Dario

3DRenderer
05-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, I have thought of just using many area lights for each individual window frame that goes along the bend of the building (curve). But I already am using about 6 area lights as is. Considering I have many glass windows through-out the model.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2009, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.