PDA

View Full Version : (AO) Baking large and complex models?

Aiur
05-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Hello everyone, baking ambiant occlusion is very easy in cinema 4d (im on r11) and its very cool for animation... but what if my model is like big, very very big?

like http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_halle_de_La_Villette

I have modeled the whole structure.
How do I bake a large structure like that? Especially the ground!
Im not gonna do HUGE textures like 10k by 10k?
Do I need to decompose all the different parts? Collumns etc..?

Baking AO seems to be cool for small individual models but how it scales for arch projects like this structure?

FrancoisvdW
05-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd also like to know this as I've tried it before with little success, like running out of RAM, running out of TIME, small objects rendering for days, large ones in minutes...

Aiur
05-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah running out of ram (especially with cinema 4d, because its a "scan" type of render and not a "bucket" type like vray)

Also running out of time if you dont bake your AO :(

FrancoisvdW
05-29-2009, 07:29 AM
The RAM problem comes into play because the textures are too large in an Architectural Bake due to the size and complexity of the models and the resolution required of the textures, nothing to do with the software. AdvancedRender3 (C4D11) uses bucket rendering btw, AdvancedRender2 was scanline.

Is there someone out there who's done this before?

ienrdna
05-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Can you break UVs in to tiles and render several 4k maps?

StSabath
05-29-2009, 09:50 PM
solution??

http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html

Cheers

Ben2Bomb
05-30-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't know if there is something like point clouds in Cinema4d but that would fit to your problem. Basically, point clouds let you bake very large objects in 3d rather than onto a texture, and don't need uv.

Look for something like point coulds and brickmaps...

Ben

Aiur
05-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Ben2Bomb ive learned something, thank you :)

Houdini has a pcwrite (aka point cloud write) that would do the trick, maybe the apprentice hd version can do that also.

But im gonna need to learn another prog, wonder if there's no standalone app for doing this.

Still I dont think c4d can read point cloud files :(

Ben2Bomb
05-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Point clouds are rather classical feature in renderman renderers such as PRMan, 3delight. I guess Mantra (Houdini integrated renderer) supports these.
From what I know, C4d provides good support for such renderers (via Cineman) in R11, but you'll probably have to be comfortable with renderman -- knowledge in renderman is never a bad thing, but it easily gets technical :)
You may also give Blender a try, I've read posts about Big Buck Bunny using AO computed with point clouds..

(eventually you might be interested in Guerilla Render, our very own renderman renderer which is currently in closed betatesting phase -- but hush hush more on this later ;))

Aiur
05-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Im just waiting for blender 2.5 actually, I like dark and clear interfaces (like c4d, after effects and modo) It helps me a lot! (maybe because im more a graphical guy vs technical one)

I want to learn something like a renderman compliant renderer but, how do I do without spending money? There's something like a demo? Or watermarked version?

Something I can use with c4d r11 or with my houdini apprentice HD

Ive already looked around the web for renderman tutorials/white papers/etc.. but where I work its not a big studio so we make mostly arch simulations and we need to work fast (like putting really fast textures and decals) Making tons of spots light very fast etc..

That's why we work with c4d (before we worked with lightwave but modeler separate from layout is too much a pain!)

We have 78ghz in our home made renderfarm (8 quads, total cost 5000$) so working with cinema 4d is not too slow, but AO hurt a lot, more in flickering than rendertime!
Actually a slower but noise free AO (and less slower than crancked up c4d ao would do the trick)

Anyway thanks for the reply :)
(Guerilla render looks pretty cool! Aussi j'ai vu que vous parliez français, je suis moi même Suisse!)

Ben2Bomb
06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
3delight is available for 1 free demo licence with watermark, and can be plugged with Cineman.
3Delight web site : http://www.3delight.com

Enjoy!

Aiur
06-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks Ben, im gonna look at that :)
If anyone have some others tricks for baking large scene with AO, the thread is still open!

edit: ive installed 3delight, licensed it (demo) doing all right, it works but when I load a shader for example architectural it take like 30second to compute the material preview and when I make any change like dimming reflectivity it takes another 30second and if I make the error to press render into that time it just crash, its really slow! but the render is fast... I dont understand

edit2: (oh I have a c4d update, in changelog its written cineman fixed shaders issues! gonna see if It fix my problems)

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2009, 10:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.