PDA

View Full Version : Render small part of a frame, or different sub-regions with one render-call?

Myxine
05-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi!
I've been reading a lot in the forums for some time and have almost always found the answers but now it's time to write something myself.

I'm using Maya2009 with mental ray and want to speed up my rendering time.
I am using just a small part of each frame in my sequence and as the title says I'm wondering if there is a way to tell mental ray exactly which part of each frame to render, in one call.

In the beginning I just rendered full frames for the whole sequence and cut out the parts I wanted afterwards (throwing the other parts away), but the rendering is getting real time-consuming. The composing afterwards are done automatically and is rather fast.

If I use the command-line render there is a flag "-reg" where I can tell which region to render, but this applies to all the frames in the scene (or between the -s and -e defined frames). I have different regions for all the frames in the sequence. (one region per frame)

One way to "solve" this is to use a .bat-file which calls the render-command one time for each region/frame and by doing this I get a speed-up comparing to rendering full frames. The problem is that most time are spent on the overhead to start the renderer, read in the scene etc. and not the actual rendering.

So my question is if there is a way to do this with just one call, so I don't have to read the scene so many times? Or if there are any other suggestions using MEL-scrips to achieve speed-up as I just need such a small region in every frame.

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2009, 12:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.