PDA

View Full Version : move model from Lightwave to 3D Studio

Cothull
07-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Is there an easy way to move my model from Lightwave to 3D Studio and keep surfaces and textures? Thanks.

yog
07-20-2003, 09:55 PM
I use Deep Exploration for the transfer.
I load a LW object or scene into DE and export as an OBJ file. When loaded onto MAX it not only keeps the UV maps but also creates UV maps for LW's standard mapping sryles (planar, box, spherical, etc),
All individual surfaces are retained (as multi / sub-object materials), but no proceedural equivilants are ported.

CTRL+X
07-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Here is another little nugget I found out recently,,, if you create all your Facial animation in LW via Endomorphs, when exported to MAX with the LWO2_MAX plugin,, it brings all those morphs with it and applies the Morph modifier automaticlly in MAX,, all you need do is assign and delete all the geometry ( except the base) and you have flawless morphing in MAX VIA LW's awesome Endomorphs!!!!

Cothull
07-21-2003, 01:25 AM
thanks for the tips. I will look in to both sugestions and let you know how it goes.

Chewey
07-21-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by yog
I use Deep Exploration for the transfer.
I load a LW object or scene into DE and export as an OBJ file. When loaded onto MAX it not only keeps the UV maps but also creates UV maps for LW's standard mapping sryles (planar, box, spherical, etc),
All individual surfaces are retained (as multi / sub-object materials), but no proceedural equivilants are ported.

Is that true about multiple uv maps retained upon transfer to Max? It's been over a year since I tried this but it would only suport a single uv map when I attempted it.

Guess I need to check it out again. :shrug:

Cothull
07-21-2003, 01:30 PM
CTRL+X,

I am pretty new to Lightwave so this is probably a dumb question. Where do I find the LWO2_MAX plugin? Does it come with LW? In Modeler I found File - Export - Export 3DS, is this it? When I try this I get an error message about polygons with 3 verts only. Thanks for the help and please excuse my ignorance :)

Gkaine
07-21-2003, 03:49 PM
blasphemY!

CTRL+X
07-22-2003, 03:04 AM
Hey Cothull

The transfere is on the MAX end,,, just save out the normal .LWO format as usuall,, you need not do anything on the lightwave end.

But on the MAX end,, go to This Web Site (http://www.maxplugins.de/) and do a search with Lightwave as the key word and you will find a LW to MAX plugin for MAX that will handle the conversion perfectly.

I believe it is called something like LWO2MAX

Cothull
07-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks, it worked like a charm. The Lightwave community is the most friendly and helpfull group of people. (And the most tolerent of us newbs :) ) Must have something to do with LW's history of bringing 3D to the masses. Unlike other 3D communities that have kind of an elitist attitude.

Thanks again!

duderender
07-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Have you tried polytrans? www.okino.com

The thing I like about polytrans, is that it will not only convert models but animations as well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.