PDA

View Full Version : Brushed Metal Hightlights

nemuro
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I am trying to achieve realistic highlights which can be observed on brushed metal, or scratched metal.

To illustrate what I am talking about, I attached a picture of the way the light looks like over brushed or scratched metal ( the source is sxc.hu ).

I know how to put a texture to make it look like a brushed metal, but the highlights are still regular.

Is this something that can be achieved using texture + bump map?

If you think this needs a lightmap, I could use more info about it, I never used one.

Thanks.

el diablo
05-27-2009, 09:02 PM
by looking at the image I would put a reflection card with an extremely high luminance off SR and facing the bevled faces...el diablo

nemuro
05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks once more El Diablo.

Yes, that is the way I could light that scene. But I am more interested in the way the hightlights apear, with uneven and jagged edges, and the way the light fills the scratched portions of the surface, depending on the angle they were created at.

I attached a picture that hopefully will explain the question a bit better than the way I did.

el diablo
05-27-2009, 09:19 PM
a bump or displacment will give you that or run a nomal pass with bump and displacement on and dial it in in the comp...el diablo

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2009, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.