PDA

View Full Version : Getting normal/displac maps to work in Maya?

ArticSpider
05-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I applied details of my mesh in ZBrush then export the normal/displacement maps from Zbrush to be used in Maya. The UVs are done in Maya, but I have done them before in Zbrush as with this problem I'm asking about.

Why doesn't the quality of the Maya Render turn out in exactly as it does in Zbrush?

Is it possible that my graphic card can not output the render?

For example, the rhino in the Maya render photo(gray rhino photo) is smooth and I have been experimenting with different settings in the Alpha Gain, Approximation Editor, Bump settings and nothing helps bring out the quality cracks in the skin of the Rhino. (See the shoulders, horn and upper body comparisons).

I have a simliar problem when doing other project and sometimes instead of it being too smooth, the mesh looks very distorted or exploded.

I tried using my original mesh, the lowest subdivision level of the Zbrush mesh, a morph target version of the mesh from Zbrush with all the displacement and normal maps and no matter what the renders in Maya is not as sharp as the Zbrush.

I'm not sure if it's the exported out of Zbrush that's the problem or the settings in Maya, so thought I'd give it try to ask here.

Please help if you can!

What settings do you use to export normal maps/displacement maps in Zbrush and then what settings do you use in Maya?

wwswimming
05-28-2009, 01:39 AM
I applied details of my mesh in ZBrush then export the normal/displacement maps from Zbrush to be used in Maya. The UVs are done in Maya, but I have done them before in Zbrush as with this problem I'm asking about.

Why doesn't the quality of the Maya Render turn out in exactly as it does in Zbrush?

Is it possible that my graphic card can not output the render?

my guess is your graphics card is fine. as far as why they're different ... i don't have a meaningful answer.

I have a simliar problem when doing other project and sometimes instead of it being too smooth, the mesh looks very distorted or exploded.

i believe the "null" displacement in Maya is RGB 127, 127, 127 - i.e. if you drape a mid-tone gray-scale bitmap in the displacement map, it won't displace.

i adjust levels in Photoshop after getting a displacement map, then flip vertical.

also it seems like sometimes, Maya prefers a *.tif over a *.psd - sometimes. i have Maya 8.5.

I tried using my original mesh, the lowest subdivision level of the Zbrush mesh, a morph target version of the mesh from Zbrush with all the displacement and normal maps and no matter what the renders in Maya is not as sharp as the Zbrush.

I'm not sure if it's the exported out of Zbrush that's the problem or the settings in Maya, so thought I'd give it try to ask here.

Please help if you can!

What settings do you use to export normal maps/displacement maps in Zbrush and then what settings do you use in Maya?

it sounds like you're doing things right.

i notice that if i try to maintain my Zbrush detail in Max or Maya, i get these whomping big files that are too much for a quad core intel workstation with 8 GB RAM.

ArticSpider
05-28-2009, 03:04 AM
i believe the "null" displacement in Maya is RGB 127, 127, 127 - i.e. if you drape a mid-tone gray-scale bitmap in the displacement map, it won't displace.

What do you mean by "null" displacement in Maya? Where are the settings to adjust the RGB values?

I contrasted the midtone gray scale tiff image file I had, and it helped, so thanks for that! But not all details came through. Any other suggestions?

Halogen
05-28-2009, 04:13 AM
I'm a newbie to ZBrush, but I had this youtube link open in another browser tab - I think it may help. You will have to tweak your displacement map in both photoshop and maya itself by playing with these settings. Have a gander hope it helps in some way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOrmlnIZrAM

ArticSpider
05-29-2009, 01:01 AM
The video ended up exploding my mesh and causing maya to crash.

So any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I also have another question, what if you used the Move Brush or SnakeHook on the mesh in ZBrush, how do you get that to show up back In Maya with the displacement/normal maps?

Also if you use transpose on the mesh will that show up ok with displacement/normal maps in Maya or do you have to do something extra for either questions?

wwswimming
05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
What do you mean by "null" displacement in Maya? Where are the settings to adjust the RGB values?

I contrasted the midtone gray scale tiff image file I had, and it helped, so thanks for that! But not all details came through. Any other suggestions?

by null displacement, i meant the exact shade of gray that produces no displacement - in Maya.

I also have another question, what if you used the Move Brush or SnakeHook on the mesh in ZBrush, how do you get that to show up back In Maya with the displacement/normal maps?

one way - export an .obj file that can be fairly large, 100 MB easily.

or, reduce the resolution in "Tool/ Geometry", & export a low-res. *.obj file. and, create a displacement and/or normal map. then, re-assemble a fachsimile of the ZBrush geometry in Maya, using the displacement map & the lower res mesh.

for the 2 1/2 D snakehook brush -

the snakehook brush'es effect can be captured via the "MRGBZGrabber", which captures an RGB grab and a depth grab of the snakehook - sort of. if you take that depth grab, and apply it in Maya, it will only look like the Zbrush object if you use it in conjunction with the RGB grab (where the RGB grab is in the diffuse slot & the depth grab is in the bump or displacement slot).

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.