PDA

View Full Version : Those VeggieTales eyes

Tom Wood
07-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Just when the Big Idea thread was getting back to topic, it was closed.

Anyway, I'd like a tutorial for animating the eyelids of a non-spherical (egg-shaped) eye using Lightwave.

TW

LFGabel
07-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Are the eyelids part of the mesh (e.i. continuous) or are they separate objects?

Tom Wood
07-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Separate objects.

I'd also like to animate short sequences of one character and then tell Lightwave to animate another character using the same movements but using different parts:

Head
Eyes
Eyelids
Eyebrows
Body
Arms/Hands

It's a talking heads news show, so there's really a limited number of movements for each part.

TW

LFGabel
07-20-2003, 08:29 PM
For the eyes, it's really quite simple when using separate objects.

You have a root null, and parented to that is the eyelid(s) and the eye.

Then, to create the oval eye, just stretch the root null. All the children follow, and rotation still works properly on the eyes and lids.

As far as your other question, what exactly do you need? You just want to animate one character and have it drive only parts of others?

That sounds like a job for expressions.

Tom Wood
07-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Thank you helping out here ifgabel,

Yes, I'd like to create a series of short animations of my main character, and then tell Lightwave to create the same animations but using different versions of the same parts that make up another character(s). I'm wondering if I need to set up a specific file hierarchy for each part:

Head1
Head2
Head3
etc

Eyes1
Eyes2
Eyes3
etc

Eyebrows1
Eyebrows2
Eyebrows3
etc

Other Parts 1,2,3, etc

So I can then animate once using Head1, Eyes1, Eyebrows1, and etcetera, and then tell Lightwave, okay, now make the same set of animations using Head2, Eyes1, Eyebrows3, etcetera, or whatever combination I want.

Any tips you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

TW

LFGabel
07-20-2003, 09:11 PM
You could also try saving out your motion graphs for various parts and reload them onto different characters.

Kvaalen
07-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood
Thank you helping out here ifgabel,

Yes, I'd like to create a series of short animations of my main character, and then tell Lightwave to create the same animations but using different versions of the same parts that make up another character(s).

Motion Mixer does just that :thumbsup:

LFGabel
07-21-2003, 02:26 AM
Well, there you go! I'll admit right now that I'm no expert on Motion Mixer.

I hope it works for you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.