PDA

View Full Version : texturing dog

Cyborgguineapig
07-20-2003, 05:53 AM
ok this will sound like a real newb question but I want to go and texture a dog model I made last night. For one should it always be TGA texture format? Since a dog is symetrical, i would texture half of him longwise and then mirror his mody,correct? Should I split his body into more than one map, one for chest/head and one for hind? I'm sorry, i'm just not too experienced with this. Pretty much this is the complete newbs question for game texturing,I know the concept of it but am not sure how to accomplish it. Here is a pic:

UPDATE: See below

Cyborgguineapig
07-20-2003, 05:56 AM
ooops that the wrong picture, this is the completed model form:

EVIL
07-20-2003, 06:51 AM
I think it is best to do each leg on one side, the head and the body (maby sepperate the ears)

Cyborgguineapig
07-20-2003, 07:06 AM

Cyborgguineapig
07-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Edited :D

oXYnary
07-20-2003, 11:05 AM
I cant see the seam thus far.. you must be on the right track.

Prs-Phil
07-20-2003, 11:25 AM
yeah looks allright for me to atm, you wanna see the model that cANT is working on atm, youŽll learn something of his texture but youŽll have to wait ;)

Matt
07-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Is this for the Quake remodelling/retexturing project?

Cyborgguineapig
07-20-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Matt
Is this for the Quake remodelling/retexturing project?

No lol, its just a personal project that might never even be put into an engine. Its only just above 1000 polies and is definetely not up to 2003 standards but I need to start small for this is my second game model, I will eventually get up there.;)

Cyborgguineapig
07-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Update...what feels like too many hours for so little progress:rolleyes:

Cyborgguineapig
07-21-2003, 01:28 PM
This will probably be my last update before I make a finish to the texturing. I still have to do eyes and try to make the muscles more defined in the texture and I want to go back and redo the feet because compared to the teeth detail, i feel like I really textures the feet very bad quality. I think I may make the eyes 3D but then I'm breaking the rule about texturing only after 100% done with modeling.

Oh all together its now 1,510 triangles.

oXYnary
07-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Try to make the seam between the ears and the head a little more blurred.

Cyborgguineapig
07-22-2003, 08:23 AM
I couldn't help myself so I'm posting more pictures of more progress. I would say I am about 90% done with texturing now. As you can see in the next images, I have given the dog texture for ears, Defines muscles in the texture, given him 3D eyes and textured eyes. I am pretty happy with the eye coming out so well. I still have to redo the feet texture.

Cyborgguineapig
07-22-2003, 08:24 AM

Cyborgguineapig
07-22-2003, 08:31 AM

rob-beddall
07-22-2003, 11:59 AM
hey!!:wavey:
not bad.

here i my crits.

1. the texture on the mouth ( right next to the nose) looks a little stretched.

2. the whole fur texture looks a little flat ( oops, just remembered that dobermans aren't really furry, look more silky, so the fur texture would probably look quite good but with a shiny material)

hmmm, thats about it.

cheers!!

oh, and it doesn't really look like a zombie dog. more like a living dog.

Cyborgguineapig
07-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ROB_BEDDALL
oh, and it doesn't really look like a zombie dog. more like a living dog.

Lol, yeah believe it or not, it was planned to be a zombie dog but ended up looking normal but I just stuck with the same picture names to keep myself organized in my crazy HD. The Streched texture on the snout I am well aware of and is due too the mapping, I want to fix it but have been having too many seams in that area, it can be fixd but it will take time to get the seams blend perfectly.

And thank god I didn't choose a golden retreiver or husky dog:p

Cyborgguineapig
07-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Yay his name is Gumpy because I thought of a name under 10 seconds. He is approx 1700 triangles. The streching in the back feet I am aware of and tried my best to fix:wise: He's done for now until maybe he's needed somewhere and I have to bone him:p :rolleyes: Until then I can call him my second completed game model.

http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GAL_200307/GalleryImage452749.jpg

oXYnary
07-23-2003, 01:07 PM
"Here boy, come here. Thats a good dog! Wha?? Huh? Ouch? AUGH AUGHHH GET HIM OFF ME!!! AUHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh h h"

In seriousness I like, the big thing to me is his eye seems to bleached out. Also I think a dogs cornea/iris covers alot more area?

Cyborgguineapig
07-24-2003, 12:00 AM
About the dogs eyes, I do think it might be a tiny bit smaller than it should, the cornea I mean, I do have a dog of my own, not a doberman but a Boxer, I did every once in a while go outside and look at her for some reference, maybe because my dog is young like 2 1/2 years her eyes are very clean:shrug: I do agree I could make the dark areas of the eye a little larger though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.