PDA

View Full Version : Understand about Render Passed in mental-ray.

VazeWare
05-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Hello everybody, I'm learning about render with mental-ray 2009. But I don't know more about Render passes. I'm waiting for they sent me the D.T: Introduction to mental-ray 2009, but I really want someone helps me this (maybe give me a document about it).

Thank you.

mister3d
05-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Just check "mr arch&design" in additional help, it has some explanation of mental ray basic passes.

VazeWare
05-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Oh, thank you. I forgot that.

sundialsvc4
05-25-2009, 03:32 AM
"Render passes" are sort-of the darkroom of CG. You see, a finished image doesn't just pop-out, several hours after you pressed the "Render" button, like a goddess from the foam of the sea. The image is a composition of multiple elements that were undoubtedly rendered separately, then "composited" together. These elements are called "passes" for what are now historical reasons.

This notion has evolved into a "render pipeline" notion, where the complete data flow(s) that ultimately combine to make the finished image can be described graphically. In an actual production setting, the workload is then automagically distributed throughout the rendering hardware network.

mister3d
05-25-2009, 04:59 AM
"Render passes" are sort-of the darkroom of CG. You see, a finished image doesn't just pop-out, several hours after you pressed the "Render" button, like a goddess from the foam of the sea.

Why is that? It does, if you don't break it into passes needed to be comped later.
This image which is created by pressing "render" button without passes is called "beauty pass", because you don't need to comp it and it's beautiful (it's a joke of coutse, I don't know why it's a "beauty pass")
You should understand, that passes originally are purposed to combine cg material with shot material. Because it's practically unwise to adjust it all when rendering, and yet many changes may be needed later, the image is broken into its components to match each component to the shot material as best as possible. If you render just cg, it may be redundant to render it in passes, especially if it's one picture and not animation. It may be faster to adjust something in cg than in compositing for one pic.

bezzeler2000
06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Hello everybody, I'm learning about render with mental-ray 2009. But I don't know more about Render passes. I'm waiting for they sent me the D.T: Introduction to mental-ray 2009, but I really want someone helps me this (maybe give me a document about it).

Thank you.

Is there a difference between render layers with maya software and Mental Ray. Render layers does not change from renderer to renderer.

adept
06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi there, I got another question. Where may I find information about how mental ray 2009 does actual compositing of rendered passes into beauty?
Also it must probably depend on shading model of the specific shaders used in the scene.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.