PDA

View Full Version : Kinda dumb question at this stage, but...

one0ut
05-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Where the hell can I find an item's/element's position parameters? I'm trying to snap one object to a precise point on another object (a vertex in this case) but I couldn't find the parameters I needed.
I looked everywhere; under properties, channels, statistics and info and they all gave me zeros on x, y and z no matter where the object/element is located. (The same is true for rotation and scale but that less important now)

All input is appreciated.

kevmo
05-24-2009, 05:03 AM
if you select your vertex, go to the Lists/statistics&info (select the info panel) it will show vertex #, texture uv, position XYZ. here you can select say the X position, copy the text.
then you can use set position (in the vertex tab) and paste the copied text into the value X position.

to position an object, it should be on a separate layer, in item mode, go to the edit menu, center to bounding box (pick desired position - center, top, etc.) then under the lists tab/info it will be in item mode and you can paste the position for the object. you could also reposition items under the properties tab interactively, after using the center to bounding box edit.

hope this helps

k!

one0ut
05-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks! I did this before but I must have overlooked it somehow. It looks like it only works for SINGLE vertices and edges though, not polys and selection groups (or even whole objects for that matter). Isn't there a way to find out the xyz of an object's center point?

kevmo
05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Isn't there a way to find out the xyz of an object's center point?

Yes, select an object in item mode, go to the edit menu, select center to bounding box, then under the lists tab/info or the properties tab it will show the XYZ position for the object.

one0ut
05-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Just what I needed! Thanks, kevmo =)

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2009, 11:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.