PDA

View Full Version : June: Topics Discussion

Splinter
05-24-2009, 01:07 AM
It is May 23, 2009 and time to start thinking about possible non-audio topics for the month of June. I have seen a few new faces and hope to see many more. If you are new to the animation mini challenge, I would like to welcome you, and encourage anyone no matter what your experience may be, to join in.

In order to grasp and maintain the interest of all the animators out there, this thread is here so that all of our needs, wants, and toughest obstacles show up in the monthly challenge. There needs to be rules in order to keep things fair and in the best interests of the challenge, which is to have FUN and learn from our experiences and peers.

1. Deadlines are final; anything posted after the set deadlines are void.
2. This thread is meant for suggestion and suggestions only
3. Voting will take place on May 29, 2009, on a completely new thread.
4. No inappropriate topics, we have to follow the rules set forth by “cgtalk.com”

Splinter
05-24-2009, 03:04 PM
So far this year we have done 3 topics. They are the following: Frightened, Walk Cycle, and Ball Kick.

Later on I will try to post some suggestions for next month's challenge. Thanks to SirRon, I have a pretty big list of ideas that we could use.

thatonejondude
05-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Nice nice...

Well, I always thought it'd be cool to do like a fight scene. Two characters, perhaps one punches the other in the face... Something along those lines would be pretty awesome to animate!

stuartb
05-24-2009, 06:16 PM
I think a weight exercise would be good. Something like a guy picking up another character, or struggling to drag him by the arm then dropping him. Weight is probably one of the biggest things I see lacking in 3d animation wips.

Splinter
05-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Awesome start so far, we have:

A Fight Scene
An animation that involves moving a heavy weight
If we can I would like to see everyone try and come up with at least 3 ideas. That way, I think voting will be a little bit easier and not just biased towards our own ideas, which can happen.

I was looking at some of the ideas SirRon gave me and here are some of the ones that stood out to me.

rooftop jumping/chase
Has rabies
Dying of thirst or hunger

MillerGenuine
05-24-2009, 08:53 PM
how about struggling to open a door?

thatonejondude
05-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I agree with stuartb. As animators, the best thing we can do is practice weight because weight is definitely one of the most important aspects when it comes to believability in character motion.

Here are some ideas involving weight:

1. Pick up and throw a heavy rock
2. Pull something heavy up with a rope over a ledge
3. Portray a broken leg and trying get up / perhaps a limp

By the way, I'm loving those SirRon ideas!!!

bujin9
05-27-2009, 03:34 AM
I agree about doing possible wieght. It's one of the principles and we'd only be limited by our imagination (pushing something heavy, pulling..lifting...throwing...etc). Then you could concievably touch each one of the principles of animation each month and you'd have between 12 to 15 (depending on your philosophy) subjects each month.
Anyways...just throwing something out there.
J

bujin9
05-27-2009, 03:49 AM
also...we could play with all the possible emotions ....display sad, angry, scared, happy, overjoyed, ...
or scenarios like...
entering a room....any emotion,...etc..etc...

earchild
05-28-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm going to jump on the band wagon of a weight exercise of some kind, I think it would be greatly beneficial for everyone participating. My suggestions for weight exercises are:

1. Lifting something heavy, followed by lifting something light.
2. Pulling/dragging something heavy that gains momentum.
3. A jump (for a greater challenge, you can have 2 characters jump, each a different weight)

freakbaba
05-28-2009, 02:10 PM
I am all for weight exercise myself.

1. Lifting an object and putting it somewhere.

2. Pushing something heavy.

3. Pulling something heavy.

Though all the above may sound similar, tackling each separately can be a fantastic way to get the basics right(for freshers) and to brush the basic(for experienced people).

Just my thoughts!

Anirudh

Guy In Rubber Suit
05-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Here are my three suggestions:

Playing a musical instrument
Pitching a baseball
Juggling something

Splinter
05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Alright guys it is May 29th and time to start voting on for our favorite topic.

HERE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5894078#post5894078)is the link for the voting thread.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.