PDA

View Full Version : Shading: Translucency Help?

callon
07-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Hi All:

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good technique or tut for translucency in Maya 5.0? What I'd like to do is have have a plane with an object behind it, say a sphere, shine a light on the sphere and have its shadow show up when the plane is viewed from the FRONT. I figure this might have something to do with the translucency of the plane. . .However, I can't seem to get the setup to work. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Mike

colt
07-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Yep, just set the the transluency for the plane material above 0 and let your lights cast shadows onto th plane and it should work fine.
Example: I created the plane and two spheres and a spot light. Activated depthmap shadows for the light, gave the plane a lambert with a transluency value 0.8. (Some glow to see the lights position) Rendered:

callon
07-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Colt:

Thanx so much for you quick and helpful reply. You're a lifesaver! Works like a charm! :)

Mike

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.