PDA

View Full Version : nView and Windows 2000

takkun
05-09-2002, 04:23 AM
Does anyone know if the new Geforce4/Quadro4 nView support makes it possible to have 2 monitors with different resolutions in Windows 2000 (1024x768 on the primary monitor and 1600x1200 on the secondary monitor). I know it's possible in XP but I mainly use 2000 for now.

Sieb
05-09-2002, 08:14 AM
As far as I know, it does. nview doesnt have a whole lot to do with the dual screen capability as much as it does with how to control what goes on within those two screens. I can run independent in XP, and both heads are accelerated as opposed to the old method nvidia used on the DHPro (one mirrors the other but with no acceleration). So Im assuming yes on the independent res. I messed with 2k briefly when I got my MX440. But then again, I could be completely wrong since XP has its own native dual screen support which is what screws up my stuff.

ZrO-1
05-09-2002, 09:58 PM
This pro'lly dosen't help much with nView, but I do know Win 2K can handle two resolutions with two cards. So the OS can handle the two resolutions just not sure about nView.

catsailor
05-10-2002, 02:42 AM
- it does work, only for some strange reason NVIDIA chose to make it impossible for the innocent end-user to enable it under Win2k

- you have to use the following registry hack to enable the necessary option ("treat multiple outputs ... as seperate display devices") for dual-view under the "Desktop Utilities" tab

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]

"NvCplExposeWin2kDualView"=dword:00000001

now reboot, enable the option, reboot again, and you can use dual-view, i.e. two independently configurable displays

cheers

takkun
05-10-2002, 04:11 AM
Thanks for your help guys! I'm definitely getting a PNY Quadro 4 soon. huzzzah! :thumbsup:

Psyhke
01-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Felytendect: Did you end up purchasing the Quadro4? I just purchased one (but am waiting on all the parts for my new PC to get here), and was wondering what sort of dual monitor setup you are using (windows native vs nView, etc.). Oh, and what OS?

CgFX
01-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by catsailor
- it does work, only for some strange reason NVIDIA chose to make it impossible for the innocent end-user to enable it under Win2k

This is not true!

To support different resolutions the OS has to believe their are two different cards in the machine. XP has a full MS DualView to take care of that. In Win2K some of the pieces are there but some of them need to be added by NVIDIA to get it working.

The trouble is that when installing under Win2K with a DualView capable card (all GeForce4/Quadro4's for example) you will get _two_ "New Hardware Found" messages.

BOTH of these messages need to be serviced. One is to install the driver for the primary graphics device. The other is to install NVIDIA's Dual View driver for Win2K. What most often happens is that people start servicing the first new hardware found message and assume the second is a duplicate.

You can fix this with a number of methods but the best way is to simply uninstall the NVIDIA driver and restart. Once windows comes up and you get the new hardware found messgaes, follow them both all the way through.

When finished and Dual View is enabled (see below) you should have two devices. A Quadro4 display device and a Dual View display device.

Dual View is not enabled by default. nView Span mode is, which is the way anyone should be running dual monitors _unless_ they need different resolutions or color depths. To enable Dual View you need to go to Display Props -> Settings -> Advanced -> Quadro4 XXX -> and then it starts to vary based on driver rev. What you need to find is the Desktop Utilities option "Enable DualView (Treat multiple outputs on an NVIDIA GPU-based card as separate display devices)"

dvornik
01-09-2003, 06:37 AM
Dualview is the answer. Do NOT use nview when it asks you to. Different drivers have different ways of enabling Dualview, it's in the Desktop Utilities like CgFX said. It creates a virtual adapter. Only newer drivers have this option. If you need OGL on the second monitor there's a checkbox for this as well in OGL tab.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.