PDA

View Full Version : Don't even know where to begin. HELP!

midduke
05-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Im not sure this is even in the right forum, but oh well.

I am currently studying 3D design, but I am very interested in making my way in VFX. The only problem is I have no idea where to start. I have obtained copies of both XSI and houdini. So I guess the first question is which would be better for a beginner to start on. I have watched all of Houdini's online tutorials and because of my slight background in 3D already i understand the modelling texturing redering etc. What I am completely lost with though is how to intergrate all this great 3D stuff into live footage off a camera. I have absolutely no idea how to do that. I know these are pretty noobish questions, but I am kind of teaching myself so...

Can you guys recomend some tutorials to actually help me with compositing the 3D with the real footage. Also if this is in the wrong section please move it.

Cheers.

transistor09
05-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi!

You must be looking for match moving, unless you have a sophisticated system of tracking camera in reality.
With match moving you'll have to track the footage, transport the movement data to your 3d app, render everything, and compose two videos in an composing app (or render directly ontop of the footage).
You can read more about it at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_moving). That should be enough to get you started.

Good luck!

midduke
05-23-2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks heaps. I will go have a look now. :D

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2009, 05:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.