PDA

View Full Version : specular for area lighting

ice-boy
05-22-2009, 12:21 PM
i set up 5 lights to make it look like the light is coming from a window. but if have a glossy specular on a material it renders with 5 small dots. i am also using a light from the room.
so changing the specular in the material wont work.

are there any cheats for this? to make the specular like its from a window?

Piflik
05-22-2009, 12:48 PM
What program?

In Max you can deactivate the Specular for a light. Don't know if it's possible in other apps, but it should be...

ice-boy
05-22-2009, 01:03 PM
i am actually asking for more 3d app. in general if there is a fast cheat to make a big wide specular.

soulburn3d
05-22-2009, 02:21 PM
In some renderers, yes. Like in the Brazil Renderer, you can get a specular that's square instead of of round. Personally though, I'd forget using a specular highlight and instead use a reflection. Basically something like this...

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/overbright_card/overbright_card.htm

- Neil

ice-boy
05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
it doesnt have to be square. i was just thinking that its bigger. like a big light source.

p.s. that link is very good.

Rens
05-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Hmm, I think vray makes wider specular highlights for area lights compared to point lights.

But generally speaking, you'll have to layer it.
Either in your shader, add (as in the math operation) a wide specular-only shader with no diffuse on top of your narrow spec regular shader. You'll have to disable the window lights in your base shader and disable the room light in the layer shader.
Or if you have a compositing program save yourself the trouble and just render another pass with just the window lights and a specular-only shader set to a wide specular.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2009, 08:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.