PDA

View Full Version : How do I light the inside of a building while using Daylight System.

DrPretorius
05-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi,

I have two problems with this WIP, and I hope you can help me.

1. How do I light up the rooms as if there are lights within the Bar and Cafe, I have tried a few things from omni lights to Photometric settings, i:e 100w bulb etc, but nothing has worked.

The glass has depth, and there are rooms within the buildings(well a cube with one face missing).

2. The Sidewalk. Parts of the sidewalk highlighted by the arrows, are rendered darker than the rest of the sidewalk, but only when enable the Gamma & LUT which is set to 2.2, but if I untick theG & L it renders out ok, this only happens to the sidewalk, the rest of the model is ok.

Cheers

Rendering with Mental Ray
Daylight System
Mr Sun & Mr Sky

RagingBull
05-22-2009, 10:31 AM
A large soft intensity area light in the parts you want illumination ?

Don't forget if you are using some kind of camera exposure effect on the camera, it'll be exposing to the day light, not the interior (when there isn't light in there).
Just because you are using FG/GI doesn't mean you still don't need to cheat here and there ;)

DrPretorius
05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried Mr Sky Portal, plus a area light, with no luck still just the same..:(

RagingBull
05-23-2009, 12:45 AM
First of all, have you tried putting a camera inside one of these problem areas to see what happening behind the glass ?
Or have you tried rendering without the glass ?

Identify what is causing the problem first, as any of us telling you to do this and that isn't going to help.
Alternatively, why don't you post a link for the scene but in a very stripped down way.
Or if that's a problem....why don't you recreate the scene with the most basic cubes etc and try to figure out what the issue is ?

DrPretorius
05-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks Yeah I am going to have to do something liek you said, I will give it a go over the weekend when I get the time, and I will get back to you.

cheers

FrancoisvdW
05-28-2009, 03:12 PM
The darker sidewalk might be caused by inverted normals of the polygons?

DrPretorius
06-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi FrancoisvdW, I checked the normals and they are fine.

RagingBull
06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Can you not post the scene without textures or bits that you are protective over ? (not saying anyone here would steal something but it's always a concern I know).

kerosene
06-01-2009, 07:18 PM
what kind of settings in your exposure controller? unitless or physical units?

My guess would be that your lights are not being strong enough to be noticeable.
I would start by dropping in an omni light with raytraced shadows and just start yanking tha values really high until it shows up. Depending on your settings you might need really high values - 5000 intensity...

DrPretorius
06-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys, I can send the model, if you dont mind.

By Exposure controll do you mean the Gamma and Lut.

I tried putting up the intensity of the lights to 5000, and it worked, I did it as a quick test, but will work on it more, thanks

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2009, 07:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.