PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial slow down

Faridzadeh
07-19-2003, 09:48 AM
I've been going through the 13 lesson basic tutorials that came with Combustion 2.1, and for the most part have had good experiences with the performances. I've however come across a huge slowdown issue in lesson 12 (Artemis). My main problem was when the particle transporter would start up around fram 125. My systems would start to slow BIG TIME!

After clearing the cache, it took almost 10 minutes to go from frame 115 to 150 rendering the transporter into the RAM. However when it finished and went back to frame 115 , it would the whole process over again. No smooth playback at all.

Do such intense particles take it out of the system that much? Has anyone else experience this unbearable slow down? The final render out to quicktime only took less than 3 minutes for the whole clip.

I'm curious to see what other users are using and if they experience the transporter slowdown. I myself am running an AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz, XP pro with 512 meg of DDR ram. Radeon 7200 (with the latest drivers installed) with the OpenGL turned on.

1armedScissor
07-19-2003, 05:31 PM
first off your video card is part of the reason that it slows down so much, you'll probably want to spend another few hundred dollars on a video card, if you are planning on using particles on a daily basis. You said that you have "open gL" turned on, did you turn on "software open GL" or "hardware open GL"?

In order to optimize your system for using particles you are going to have to use "hardware open GL" go into file>preferencese>open gL and uncheck use software open gL and uncheck use texture Ram.

Othere than that get a new video card

Faridzadeh
07-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks,
I just realized that my openGL was in fact turned on. I turned it off and now the clips runs fater than before.

Perhaps it is time for a new video card after all.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.