PDA

View Full Version : render using command line - lighting not correct

leeshie
05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi there

I'm trying to render out a scene file overnight using the command line, but when I have checked the render progress there is a couple of problems:
- My scene has a couple of GI lights, and also has Final Gather switched on, but the render files are very dark, so the FG and/or the lighting are not working
- also, most of my scene is made up of reference files, and the cmd line render is only rendering one of the reference files (and unreferenced objects).

Are special commands required for rendering with Final Gather or GI using the command prompt?
Why is only one of my reference files being rendered?

I am very confused, and would love any ideas to get this working. In the meantime, I will just have to render via the batch renderer within Maya, albiet at 12 minutes a frame!

leeshie
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I have resolved both issues:
- used the " -r mr " command in the command prompt, so nows renders in mental ray instead of maya software
- went though and made the mental ray render settings the same for each file referenced in the scene (some had different settings originally e.g. secondary bounce turned off instead of on, different values for accuracy etc)

Seems to be shaving 4 - 5 minutes off the rendering time for each frame vs rendering within maya (9 - 10 mins vs 14 mins), so I'm stoked.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.