PDA

View Full Version : setting up p_z shader

artcross
05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
hello everyone,
I just downloaded the puppet p_z shader b/c i needed a zdepth pass that supports alpha. However, i'm pretty clueless as to how i set it up. I followed all the directions in the docs, but when I apply the shader, it just comes out solid white. If i adjust the clip planes, it just turns to varying levels of grey. I also tried plugging the shader into the surface material slot, but no avail. Can anyone describe the steps to get this to work? or maybe a sample scene? It's probably something really simple that i'm just missing. thanks!

ashretallack
05-20-2009, 05:43 PM
When You say "supports alpha", do you mean supports transparcy? or just makes a solid alpha channel of the output image?

attached is an network (and scene) that will give you a transparent alpha

Puppet|
05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
to artcross:
If you still have no luck with z, you may share simple example scene.

to ashretallack:
Why you are using mib_transparency node with p_z.
p_z have build-in opacity.

artcross
05-20-2009, 07:25 PM
hi guys, thanks very much for your replies. ashretallack, i downloaded your scene and it worked great, but i couldn't replicate it. I'm pretty new to working in depth with nodes, so i couldn't figure out what you were doing differently. Puppet, thanks for such a great utility! I've attached a simplified scene. there's a ramp shader connecting to the transparency of each shader to reveal each ribbon on and off. if i try using the built in luminance depth, i can't get the reveal animation to work. thanks again for your help.

Puppet|
05-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Your scene works fine.
With Near 40 and Far 70

ashretallack
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi Pavel,

Yeah, this was made with an old version (maya 7.0, rgb not affected). Also it makes it easier to use different transparencys for different shaders, and keep the same p_z for each one.

- ash

artcross
05-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks Pavel, do you think you can post the scene working? I can make everything work on my end except for the ramp transparency.

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2009, 01:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.