PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2009 render passes with SSS

indestructibleman
05-20-2009, 04:00 AM
i've used a misss_fast_skin_maya in conjunction with mib_transparency to create a skin shader for a fish.

is there any way i can get this to work with render passes? i'd like to get diffuse, indirect and spec passes.

Galakgorr
05-20-2009, 04:21 AM
rather than using mib_transparency, you could use a mia_material_x_passes with the result of the misss_fast_skin connected to the additional color slot of the mia_material.

indestructibleman
05-21-2009, 02:09 AM
thanks, i'll give that a shot.

blazelet
05-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I have a question about this. When I attach misss_fast_skin to the additional color slot of my mia_material_x_passes shader, I get the color to pass through but it doesn't add any of the SSS effect. It just adds a general skin colored hue to my already existing diffuse color.

Thoughts on how to pass the SSS effect through a mia_material_x_passes shader?

Galakgorr
05-21-2009, 08:05 PM
what output of miss_fast_skin did you connect to additional color? it should be miss_fast_skin.result -> mia_material_x.additional_color i think

did you turn the diffuse weight of your misss shader off? it should be at 0.0

if it still doesn't work you could try using misss_fast_skin_passes instead, i'm not sure if that will solve the problem or not

blazelet
05-22-2009, 01:40 AM
That all helps, when I get Maya working again I'll give it a shot :)

Thanks in advance, I've been trying to find this out for a while.

blazelet
05-22-2009, 03:28 AM
So I have the following connection:

misss_fast_shader_x_passes.result -----> mia_material_x_passes.additional_color
I turn the diffuse weight of the misss shader to 0. The result is I get the scatter color but it looks like diffuse - there is no SSS effect. When I apply my SSS shader directly to my cube, the SSS effect works fine, but without the mia_material shader.

Galakgorr
05-22-2009, 06:09 PM
oops-- sorry! i forgot one other connection you have to make. the lightmap that comes with the sss shader has to be connected to your mia_material_x shading group.

lightmap.message -> mia_material_xSG.miLightMapShader

blazelet
05-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Egads!! It works!!

Thank you sooooo much Galakgorr!! I've been trying to figure this out forever :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2009, 09:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.