PDA

View Full Version : using mental ray 3.6 GI for animation

mister3d
05-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi. Who have been using mental ray GI for animation? I made some simple tests, it looks like photons are bad for it even if you add final gather, because there are some photon leaks.
So maybe a better choice is using FG with its seconday bounces? I'm still new to mental GI, so I might be wrong.

RagingBull
05-23-2009, 01:51 AM
It causes more problems than it's worth usually.
Why not learn how to do this without resorting to FG/GI ?

It's not a written in stone rule but most people don't use FG/GI for animations with moving objects. Which is pretty much down to 2 problems, render times and strange artefacts.

I don't think there is a magic formula but there are tried and tested ways which will always work.

MikeBracken
05-23-2009, 02:33 AM
What kind of animation? We use GI/FG for the environments and AO/direct light for characters.

Regards,
Mike

mister3d
05-23-2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks, I know about those types of workarounds, I just was wondering maybe there are some positive changes in this field.
Sure, considering the speed of depthmaps in mental ray it makes sense to use fake GI.

RagingBull
05-23-2009, 02:46 PM
We use GI/FG for the environments and AO/direct light for characters.

Definitely a good way to utilise FG/GI, I'm pretty sure we've used that way of working to, until problems start occurring that take too long to solve, then it's back to a more traditional work around. Just worth knowing how to use both methods.

mister3d:
I was thinking the same thing when I fired up my 3d software again last week doesn't look like anything has changed really. Just using combinations of methods to get what you are looking for I guess.
Good luck !

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2009, 02:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.