PDA

View Full Version : Sun and sky- HELP

ratika
05-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi, my name is Ratika. I m still new to this lighting though i have tried lighting on many area but they were all interiors, now its turn to exterior and I m not finding it easy. I have to light a kind of dry swamp area and does not want to do with physical sun and sky available in maya.
I have tried with putting sphere around my scene and giving sky image but not getting result.
If anyone can help me by not using physical sun and sky.

If i reach my deadline, I will not be having any choice other than using it. and my deadline is 25th may. I m working on my student group project. So plzz anyone help!!

almightie
05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I have the solution but unfortunately for 3DsMax.....Will u be able to link logic btwn both the software coz I really dont know maya that much so I cant give you pin point solution....

lazzhar
05-20-2009, 12:52 PM
this is a basic setup how people are lighting those sunny rooms.
If this is what are you looking for then take a look.

ratika
05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Thank you for your kind support :) almightie and Lazzhar sir.

but I was looking for a scene where you light a park or rather an open area like jungle or swamp area without using physical sun and sky available in maya. Like this one in shrek

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00400/shrek_the_halls_400673a.jpg

almightie
05-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Okie.....First of all make a sky dome (were sky dome is not casting or receiving any shadow - hopefully you can edit object properties) and use directional light with little warm color....and use appropriate shadows (reason for using word "appropriate" is my poor knowledge of maya and its parameters)......

This is the most common technique used in 3ds max and its very effective....

Hope this will work for you too.....

All the best for your project.....

:buttrock:

ratika
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Thank you almightie sir, I will try that.:)
Hope when I put my render you will comment and tell me more things if you feel.

almightie
05-20-2009, 07:21 PM
definitely....will wait for your post.....and it would be nice of you if u stop calling "sir"

phix314
05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
I would attach the .ma file I made, but I'm out of space. PM me and I'll email it to you.

The sphere should have an HDR image mapped to it, so fill that in (or use a gradient, sky colors) and you should be good. Simple directional light for the sun, FG with the env ball for the shadowing and secondary lighting, and the trees, well, they suck, but I'm sure you have a better scene.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.