PDA

View Full Version : getting a photo look like this....

charliedz
05-19-2009, 09:36 AM
hello all,

so i'm trying to light a scene that has more or less a similar look to attached picture. you can see that the stage is made of paper.

1. where / how do i start to achieve that kind of paper look for the stage? not sure where / how i can get that kind of grain. i have a very basic understanding of textures but no idea on how to blend a detail like this.

2. for the lighting setup, i'm not sure how to get that kind of gradient. the stage is just a flat plane i'm guessing. for lights i'm thinking 2 lights. a spot light from the front angle, and a small area light from above. any ideas? i been experimenting but no winners yet.

3. i believe this photo was taken with flash. how does this translate to rendering? with rendering you have total control so is that to say, you would just create the lighting exactly and thats it? this leads me to question why can't they do this in real life? is it that the lighting from a flash is very energy inefficient / costly so you only want that intensity at the moment you shoot?

thanks!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/2109861201_8daf177963_o.jpg

MAV4d
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Well as for the surface... make the paper, make a plane give it a good texture/bump and it will look like paper.

the lighting looks to be a try at 3 point lighting, and there is no flash. I would look up some tutorials on traditional 3 point studio lighting.

accesskb
05-21-2009, 12:18 AM
If you really want to become proficient in lighting so that you'll be able to light any scene to look realistic or to your liking, check out Jeremy Birn's dvd "Lighting and Rendering in Maya" ... He's a lighting director at Pixar and his dvd is one of the best I've come across yet. I guarantee you'll be able to light any scene with ease after because right now you sound like you don't really know much about lighting and how to approach lighting.. The frustrating thing about lighting for any beginner is experimenting randomly and praying that they come out the way you want. Experimenting and adjusting should be about tweaking the lights so they get closer to the exact result you want.

The dvd is easy to understand and he goes straight to the important points. Best part is that he doesn't just spend time explaining the lighting tools in Maya, rather gives you good advice on how to light any scene/object properly using any software you want.

charliedz
05-21-2009, 12:29 AM
thanks for the lead, i been looking for a good tutorial.

yah, part of my difficulty also is the huge control and options that are possible. not only with lighting, but GI, FG, caustics and all these other things im trying to get a grip on.

indeeeed

accesskb
05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
thanks for the lead, i been looking for a good tutorial.

yah, part of my difficulty also is the huge control and options that are possible. not only with lighting, but GI, FG, caustics and all these other things im trying to get a grip on.

indeeeed

also try to get the Gnomon Mastercourse video by Jeremy Vickery "Efficient Cinematic Lighting". He's also one of the lighting artists at Pixar who lit scenes in the Incredibles and Ratatoullie etc. His tutorial video is much shorter, less indepth but very similar in scope to Jeremy Birn's dvd... these two dvd's really helped me understand how to light a scene and achieve the results efficiently rather than get confused with all the options and randomly test settings

http://www.gnomonschool.com/images/master/classes/maya-lighting_main.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.