PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Scene with different shot

Shellfish
05-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Hi! I seen some of the lighting tutorial and most of the time the lighter lights the scene basic on the fix camara but what if you have a scene with alot of different shot from different angler. Should I light a scene that looks good on all different angle or light on a shot by shot basic. Which is a more effective way to work or is there a different way.

almightie
05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
When you are working on an environment where you need different angle shots (specially indoor) the practical way of Lighting is to Visualize and find out where could be the light source points (bulb, tube, washer etc.) if this was in real.....Identify those places and then start putting light source in to your 3D file (choose your light wisely and always keep real world light characteristics in mind)....This method generates technically and visually correct lighting....

tecsun
05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
To me there is no such lighting that look good in all view angle, there is always something you can tweak to make a view better. So normally I would setup a generic lighting based on the actual light fixtures I have in the scene, then extra light will be added to any view that need to be enhanced. Sometimes I also adjust the sun location to create better looking light & shadow.

By doing so I always end up having a lot of extra lights, so to stay organize I would manage them with layers (I'm using max but I don't like using scene state). There must have another better and efficient way which I hope to hear from others too, but this has work so far so good for me.

Hope this help. ^^

almightie
05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I guess what shellfish is talking about is somewhat like architectural walkthrough....where camera movements are continuous...so u need perfect lighting on every corners......

Shellfish
05-21-2009, 02:48 AM
No... not really. Something for a Movie/TV series. For our pipeline, we light the BG and Character separately but as you know a Movie/TV series will have alot of shots in a scene and I want to make such that the lighting is consistent and also speed up the work flow. Sometimes a camara is place far away and the scene looks ok but when the camare is place closer or turned to another angle like facing the sun, that shot may look darker or may not look as nice. If I were to add/edit the lights for that scene, won't I need to also edit the other previous scene I have done just to get that consistent?

Sorry for the stupit question. I still very new to lighting.

mister3d
05-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Tecsun said pretty much it all. Light different shots with lights that are motivated by the scene (some minor additions are possible of course). If you watch films, you will see that lighting changes dramatically from close-ups to middle shots and so on. Cheerful character - more sun is added. Afraid - lighting magically becomes more harsh. :buttrock:

almightie
05-21-2009, 04:21 AM
No... not really. Something for a Movie/TV series. For our pipeline, we light the BG and Character separately but as you know a Movie/TV series will have alot of shots in a scene and I want to make such that the lighting is consistent and also speed up the work flow......................

....................from close-ups to middle shots and so on. Cheerful character - more sun is added. Afraid - lighting magically becomes more harsh.

Well in that case I am going with with tecsun and mr3D......In a movie or TV serials you have luxury to work on different shots with different camera angles....so you can lit every scene according to its requirement of mood as mr3D already explained above......and in a movie or TV series most of the things depend upon the post production.....You should have knowledge of certain post production techniques....that will save your time because you will know that few effects can be done in post production very easily rather then making it on 3D application, so u dont need to spend much time on such effects/sequences......also refer tuturials about various rendering passes and multi layerd composting.....that will help you a lot.....

Shellfish
05-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Ok! Noted. Are there any books or video I could take a look at about mood lighting?

almightie
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
I'll go home and try to find something nice for you....I have bunch of e-books and magazines which will help you further......pm me your email ID.....I will upload that content on RS and will send you the link......

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.