PDA

View Full Version : College credits for work experience?

alexgk
05-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Hi all,

This might be kind of an off the wall question, but here is my scenario.
I'm currently working in the industry, have been for years now and looking
to go back and finish my degree. I have an A.S degree, and a good chunk of my
bachelors from a University I attended a while back but would like to finish my
degree.

At this point I have to transfer anyways due to living on opposite coasts, but has anyone tried getting college credit for work experience? This doesn't seem totally crazy to me if I were going back to school for animation.

Thanks for any feedback

grantmoore3d
05-19-2009, 03:08 AM
1) It's really difficult to get experience to count for a course credit. I've tried and it really depends on who is making the decision but my experience is that you REALLY have know your stuff before they'd even consider it.

2) Why? If you're going back to school, would it not benefit you to do the courses? Unless of course you're talking about auxiliary courses which really don't help anyways (so many pointless courses in University).

alexgk
05-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Ah ok. Well it might not hurt to try?
I guess it would definitely depend on the school.

I would take the courses, but I'm trying not to take too long of a break between productions.
If I switch degrees (I was going for business) I was hoping to get some of the basic animation classes covered. I mean I was an fx supervisor on a film, do I really need to take dynamics 1? ;)
Not that I can't learn anything, I'm just looking at this from a time requirement type of standpoint.

thanks

grantmoore3d
05-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Oh okay, that makes sense... well then you might have a good shot at clearing some of the introductory courses with that kind of experience. Good luck!

Almaghest
05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
I know that some schools will allow you to submit a portfolio/demo reel for a specific course and get waived from taking it, but still have to take something in it's place. So you could show work that proves you know the theories taught in say, Dynamics I, and instead take Dynamics II.

SoLiTuDe
05-19-2009, 10:33 PM
When i was in school they would let you do an "internship" for credits... I'm sure it depends on the school... could try going that route.

alexgk
05-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks, that's good info, and definitely worth asking about.

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2009, 10:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.