PDA

View Full Version : Proton Spills the Beans....At Last

proton
07-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for being part of our two day teaser campaign. With over 11,000 views as of 10am San Antonio time, it was successful beyond our expectations. You've been patient, you've made guesses about what we're doing, you've ranted, and you've raved -- now it's time to let you know what we're up to, clearly and in detail. You'll find there's something here for everyone.

For months now, the team at NewTek has been preparing our roll out of LightWave [8] for SIGGRAPH. These plans have evolved as the software has evolved, but a party the night before SIGGRAPH opened has always been part of the plan.

We've been to a lot of so-so parties over the years, so we've given a lot of thought to what our users would want in a party. Too often, SIGGRAPH parties are overloud and under-creative and they don't offer many entertainment or networking options.

So, on the Monday night before SIGGRAPH, we're throwing a different kind of party... one designed with our users in mind. There will be the usual drinking, food and talking options, and there will be music -- but it's going to be kept at a low volume, to give atmosphere, not kill conversation. You'll have chance to meet and talk with members of the LightWave team in a casual, relaxed atmosphere. When we considered what our users would enjoy, we also decided to add things like video games (ones created with LightWave, of course) and computers. No canned speeches, no boring corporate yapping. And what better to have on computers than things like; Digital Fusion / DFX+ and of course LightWave[8]. We'll be doing demos of LW[8] all during SIGGRAPH, but this party will be the only chance for you to get your hands on LightWave[8] during the show.

More details about the party will be released in the next few days, including a complete list of our partners and co-sponsors, as well as the exact time and location information. We're working on the web page right now.

We know that many of you will not be able to attend SIGGRAPH... we'd love to bring all of you, but we can't. However, we do want you to share in the Eight-citement. So, in addition to our live web stream from the show floor, to celebrate [8], we're giving away eight great prizes, everything from DVDs of films and TV shows created with LightWave to video game systems to software, including (duh!) LightWave [8]. And you don't have to attend SIGGRAPH to enter and win. You can do it from wherever you are right now. Again, you'll have to wait for the web page for rules and entry options, so get ready to enter.

You've all been great sports, so there's going to be no more teasing. LightWave [8] has so much cool stuff in it that we can't contain ourselves. Look for multiple posts over the next week or so that will show you some of the new tools and work flow for LightWave [8] and even some technology previews of what's coming in later releases of LightWave 8.x. Of course, because we're NewTek, those are going to be free upgrades with new tools when you buy LightWave [8]. We want you to learn what the team members are working on, and to see firsthand where we are heading with your favorite 3D software.

One more thing... we want you to know that there are dozens of people at NewTek who have been burning the midnight oil for months to make sure that the time and money you've invested in LightWave is a solid investment for years to come. Yesterday's Emmy nominations -- where the nominees are stacked with LightWave users -- are just the most recent example of NewTek's dream that has become reality; to create the most affordable, easiest to use professional 3D software package that works for both the user in Hollywood as well as for 'regular' users, from videographers to graphic artists to hobbyists to scientist to dreamers around the world.

You'll be seeing LightWave ads in magazines and on the internet in the next few months that mention that LightWave has the best and most active user community in the world. Everyone here at NewTek believes that. Sometimes we may do things that bug you, and sometimes you do things that bug us - that's normal for families. Families bicker and squabble, but they remain family. At the end of the day, though, we want you to know how much we appreciate all of you, our family of users.

The best is yet to come, for all of us.

William Vaughan

On behalf of the entire LightWave team at NewTek.

Mike RB
07-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Outstanding news William. I won't be attending but I'm looking forward to the stream.

Mike

PHILL_JAMES2000
07-18-2003, 06:40 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

gruvsyco
07-18-2003, 06:41 PM
(copied from my post on the Newtek forum)

That's pretty badass man...

I can hardly wait to see what's coming in the new version. Just curious though... will there be a complete list of new features posted during/after Siggraph?

Triple G
07-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Well said, William. Thanks for the info. I won't be able to attend, but it sounds like there's a lot to look forward to. :)

froggyplat
07-18-2003, 06:45 PM
cool beans. sounds like exciting stuff. too bad i will be missing siggraph this year...take lots of photos too:)

discode
07-18-2003, 06:46 PM
AHH NICE there will be a stream this year. Good deal wish i could attend though. Thanks for the info Proton.

milqman
07-18-2003, 06:46 PM
woo!

can't wait for the webpage... this contest sounds interesting

EsHrA
07-18-2003, 06:52 PM
:applause:
excitement all over the place :buttrock:

great news !!!

Cheers,

-EsH-

rickycox
07-18-2003, 06:59 PM
mmmmm good things to come!!

http://www.suture.net/files/bounce.gif

pblacklock
07-18-2003, 07:02 PM
Can't wait... Proton and Newtek...Awesome!

We'll be doing demos of LW[8] all during SIGGRAPH, but this party will be the only chance for you to get your hands on LightWave[8] during the show.

Will you put a live internet camera for us who can't attend, that would be a first and if i say a wicked great idea!

Keep up the good work!

:applause:

Paul

more :applause: the whole crowd is going nuts as the curtain is lifted to show the new LIGHTWAVE 8:applause:

Nemoid
07-18-2003, 07:03 PM
anyone has a teletransportator to rent me?
I need it for SIGGRAPH...

what? no one created it yet???? :eek:

sure to hear great reports from Sigg.

Infinity3d4life
07-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Perhaps you guys should put together a Lightwave 8 demo reel, and post it on Newteks site.. It would be awesome to see some of the new features instead of just reading about them.. Make it high quality so we can all see just whats in store for us...

Emmanuel
07-18-2003, 07:12 PM
"Eight-citement"

Now thats cool, but what about: exc8ment ?

leigh
07-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Leigh emerges once again from the shadows of self exile to comment...

This is fantastic news, even for those of us not attending the event :thumbsup:

This is the funniest smiley I've ever seen, and it's perfect for the occasion:

Retreats back into the mists...

Remi
07-18-2003, 07:22 PM
I so wish I could be there....dang it!!!!!!....i'll be checking your live streams constantly....hope everyone has a great time at Sig!!!:)

m_luscombe
07-18-2003, 07:24 PM
"Now thats cool, but what about: exc8ment ?"

Because, in just the right light, that looks like "excrement".

That would be bad ;)

anieves
07-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Awesome! I wish I could be there!!!! I bet it'll be alot of fun; and give away prizes? even better!!!!!:thumbsup:

Rei Ayanami
07-18-2003, 07:49 PM
YEAH!!

:drool: :buttrock: :bounce:

YESSSS!

(im happy)

ChrisS
07-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
Leigh emerges once again from the shadows of self exile to comment...

This is the funniest smiley I've ever seen, and it's perfect for the occasion:

Retreats back into the mists...

Better than this one? :)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/183839/OLA.gif

Sounds like NewTek's put together a really nice thing here.
I've always wanted to go to SIGGRAPH; maybe someday. Sounds like it will be a blast. I'll be there in spirit watching the live feeds though!

Nemoid
07-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Infinity3d4life
Perhaps you guys should put together a Lightwave 8 demo reel, and post it on Newteks site.. It would be awesome to see some of the new features instead of just reading about them.. Make it high quality so we can all see just whats in store for us...

Infinity3d4life suggestion:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :applause:

Limbus
07-18-2003, 08:18 PM
great News! I whish I could be there but a Livestream is also very good.

How will I survive the days until siggraph???

Florian

ambassador
07-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Im so there:thumbsup: :applause: what a great way to kick off siggraph:buttrock:

preludian
07-18-2003, 08:39 PM
You know Proton, I never regretted moving over to LW a few months ago. I used only to make architectural things, modelled in Rhino and rendered in Cinema, but I never had the real joy in modelling funny stuff or even doing some character animations. But with LW I am really having fun again. Modelling is so intuitiv and fast that I really love playing around, trying things. Rendering, although it takes maybe longer than before produces realy nice results,it's a liberty I mean to preserve. And the LW community is so helpful that I am really happy to hear that LW is here to stay.
I mean, there is so much I can still learn with the 7.5 but nevertheless I am very impatient to begin working with LW 8, as I know it's gonna be even more fun. Yeah, having fun is very important IMHO.

So keep up the good work, try to be able to deliver your great deals ;) ( I'm geting DFX+ after on month now) and have fun at the party. I'll be attending through live-streaming :p

BTW a demo reel would be great :drool:

sensai2nd
07-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that's it!!!!

I knew you'd come through in the end, Proton!!!

Keep on rockin' in the free world!!!!

Peace.

Novadesigns
07-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Wow, this is super, uber-sweet, ultra-news! ;) I really wish I could be there as well, but I'll be watching (not crossing) the streams along with everyone else.

Thanks for the news William!

Wes

dashack
07-18-2003, 09:32 PM
WoooooHaaaa!, NewTek rules! Ok, thats it, I'll be at the party!! :beer::buttrock: I missed siggraph for like the last 3 years, finally I'm going! Cant wait to play with LW8 :drool: and more importantly, meet up with all you guys!

Post details sooon!! I'm having trouble sleeping these days!

webfox
07-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Be sure to share lots of pics of Irene!

Bytehawk
07-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Hmm, sadly I won't be able to join you guys.

hope to see you on the stream.

cheers,

takkun
07-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Lightwave 8 + Digital Fusion + Video Games + Drinks = a kick @$$ party!:beer:

Lewis3D
07-19-2003, 03:37 AM
20 thumbs Up to Proton and whole NewTek team :).

since i won't be able to attend that nice party can anyone say in what time we can see Live Stream ? Mabye CET time ??? I'am 6-9 hours ahead USA time but i would like to see streams anyway :).

Thanks

Kuzey
07-19-2003, 04:06 AM
Oooooh....Oooooh.....Fantastic stuff !!!

I just hope Newtek has managed to get a mini Proton into every box:thumbsup:

Kuzey

Jimzip
07-19-2003, 04:10 AM
Nice work Proton.. :thumbsup:
Heh heh.. What a way to get attention.. :applause:

Jimzip :D

Burning with anticipation...

P.S. Look what being a part of this community has done to me in my Avatar!
Even my characters are tired from thinking..:surprised

Facial Deluxe
07-19-2003, 11:29 AM
You know, I love when you speak like that :)

robinson
07-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Well said dad, ops I meant William, you know all these family stuff…:cry: :blush:

I’m really looking forward to Lightwave 8, later releases and of course the live streaming !
Hope you stay in this forum as moderator and “crazy” 10 post a day guy !!!
Sorry for all the trouble, but you know family !!! :blush:

And BTW Leigh you better get out of your exile, we miss you over here. :love:
hey, it even looks like Poli is around from time to time...

iratethemad
07-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Oh damn Monday? I wonder if i have time to get down there for it I gotta ask my boss when were leaving for siggraph.

SWEET!!!

chikega
07-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Can't wait for "eight".

Eight that great??!!

Love it or Eight it!!!

:eek:

DigitalDeuce
07-20-2003, 02:08 AM
be sure and check this out as well.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76724

turbodrive3d
07-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by webfox
Be sure to share lots of pics of Irene!

yeah that's whould be cool
and front neutral shot (without smile) please

Chagidiel
07-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Hehe...WHAT THA....!?!

"turbodrive3d"?!!?

Are we strangely related somehow? ;)

turbodrive3d
07-20-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Chagidiel
Hehe...WHAT THA....!?!

"turbodrive3d"?!!?

Are we strangely related somehow? ;)

we both love LW :beer:

dies-irae
07-21-2003, 12:10 PM
posts like that make me feel proud to be a 'waver!!
great work newtek, proton and everybody! (and bravo to all of us too of course! :p:p )

too bad no party nor siggraph for me!

:buttrock: and :thumbsup: to you proton!

RobertoOrtiz
07-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Any updates on the party?
-R

ub52
07-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
Any updates on the party?
-R

Ya, I would like to know also. I live right here in SD and would love to attend.

-ub52

Steve Warner
07-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Here's some info on the party from NewTek's forums:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8315

RobertoOrtiz
07-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks Steve!

-R

kurv
07-24-2003, 04:34 AM
Very cool news William, keep it coming!!!

:arteest:

Wes -

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.