PDA

View Full Version : BBC:New technology is destroying Bollywood's poster craft

RobertoOrtiz
07-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Quote:
"Down an alley in Delhi, past a Hindu shrine and puddles from the monsoon, you get to one of the last studios where artists paint billboards for Indian movie blockbusters. "

"No one wants our hand-painted work anymore. Everything is becoming computerised and the cinemas are being made into these multi-plexes" "

>>Link<< (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3071229.stm)
-R

PixelVampire
07-18-2003, 03:52 PM
hmm!!! I went to a exhibition in Europe that was displaying these hand painted GIGANTIC posters. I have to say they were impressive.

noisewar
07-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Oh please, I hate hearing this kinda rubbish. Last I checked, digital mattes are either hand-painted with a Wcom tab or scanned. To say these guys are victims of technology isn't apt, better to say victims of attachment.

Besides, from the distance you see these billboards, it doesn't matter whether it's handpainted or not. Now if they want to paint huge canvased paintings with the texture and feel of REAL oils or acrylics, then that's a different story. Maybe they're just in the wrong biz.

dell
07-21-2003, 10:02 AM
It's a huge shame, its apart of the culture, and magic of bollywood and relates very well with the street culture & art of India. There are some things that have a lot more depth to them and attachment and hand crafted art ads for bollywood films are one of them. Well it would be a shame to see them go!. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.