PDA

View Full Version : Vray RT for 3dsMax

Syndicate
05-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Official release announcement.

Chaos Software is pleased to announce the official release of V-Ray RT for 3dsMax. The first interactive renderer of this kind for 3dsMax will be available for immediate purchase on June 1st, 2009.

Created with the busy and rigorous 3D artist in mind, this topnotch raytracing technology allows immediate interaction between the user and the virtual environment. V-Ray RT follows the userís actions while working on the scene and automatically and progressively generates a photorealistic preview of the scene. Designed to improve and fasten the artistís work on the Texturing and Lightening stage V-Ray RT fully supports: Interactivity, Animation, Illumination, Global illumination, Shading effects, Texturing, Camera effects, Color mapping, and Distributed rendering.

On June 1st 2009 V-Ray RT will be on the market through our resellersí network around the world. The official suggested end user price:

European Union: EUR499
World-wide: USD599

For a limited time only, during the V-Ray RT promotion stage, all users will be able to experience the speed and interactivity of our new product on the special price of:

European Union: EUR249
World-wide: USD299

In order to explore the rendering opportunities of V-Ray RT you must have installed V-Ray 1.50.SP3 or a later version.

Click here to read the full information on V-Ray RT. (http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vrayrt.html?ff=ENMMON)

grzesiekj
05-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Is this something as fast as Worley's Fprime for Lightwave?
http://www.worley.com/E/Products/fprime/fprime.html

or interactive preview in Modo?

any chance it will be available for Maya/XSI anytime soon?

Cheers

G.

bartp
05-18-2009, 06:07 AM
man this is sooooo good.
just watched a demo of it on Vimeo.
http://www.vimeo.com/923512

Syndicate
05-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Is this something as fast as Worley's Fprime for Lightwave?
http://www.worley.com/E/Products/fprime/fprime.html

or interactive preview in Modo?

any chance it will be available for Maya/XSI anytime soon?

Cheers

G.

Czesc Gzesiek,

I think it will be available on Maya soon. Vray for Maya is in its last stages.

I'm getting back to v-ray after some intensive renderman usage. I'll let you know what I find out.

- J

Nimrod7
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
So you need $899 for vray if you don't own + $299 for RT = $1198 ?

cresshead
05-18-2009, 01:21 PM
are there any more recent demo videos than the year old ones posted above?
one with a person explaining the features not just a music loop would be nice.

also what's the future upgrade costs are chaos group now splitting vray into 2 products to keep upgraded?
1. the renderer
2. the realtime viewport render

^Lele^
05-18-2009, 02:11 PM
chaosgroup forum has all the infos you need.
Requires a free registration to read the threads.

AJ
05-18-2009, 02:21 PM
ok - so who's gonna buy it?
Me.
and why?
Because a large portion of the work I do is tweaking materials, lighting & render settings. If I can do any of that faster then, it will save me time & therefore, money.

aglick
05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
ok - so who's gonna buy it? and why?

ivanisavich
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
From the demo video, it looks like this is using an optimized version of light cache PPT to do the rendering, and it's been alluded to on the chaosgroup forums that this is the case. Should be cool!

cresshead
05-18-2009, 03:41 PM
chaosgroup forum has all the infos you need.
Requires a free registration to read the threads.

so the site has no info...but the user forums does...odd.

vlad
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
ok - so who's gonna buy it? and why?

Adam, you cannot see the benefits of such a tool? Really?

^Lele^
05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
so the site has no info...but the user forums does...odd.

Odd?
It's chaosgroup.
And that has ALWAYS been the way.
Unless of course you're happy with the simple direct link to the release page.
It's on the forums that Vlado and Peter can answer directly to questions, ya know.
But hey, bring on the usual negativity when VRay stuff is involved on these pages, we're pretty much all used to it by now: your loss.

ienrdna
05-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Will this be part of 1.6 or is it completely own product.

cresshead
05-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Odd?
It's chaosgroup.
It's on the forums that Vlado and Peter can answer directly to questions, ya know.
But hey, bring on the usual negativity when VRay stuff is involved on these pages, we're pretty much all used to it by now: your loss.

i'm not a chaosgroup customer as yet usually companies put details on their product pages not on forums..

my question is pretty basic, so why not answer here?

are they now making 2 products or is it still 1 product
re the price reduction what about the next upgrade? full price upgrade pricing or does the discount carryover?

i'm trying to compare this to final render's live previewer

transparency please.

Syndicate
05-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Some of the immediate benefits are things like lighting tests/checking bleed GI problems etc.
I think as the i7 becomes cheaper, this will become much more tempting to buy.

I worked in Archviz for a while and this tool would have been fantastic. In fact right now I'm working on a major night scene and I can tell you I will be using this.

From reading the forums it looks like major things like colour correct/mesh lights are supported however some things like micro poly displacement/BRDF/SSS are not yet supported in the initial release. There are workarounds for a few things/test builds you can ask for.

To best summarise this tool I would say imagine being able to utilise all that idle CPU power to show you a constantly-updating render of your scene.

Saves you from hitting the render button until you are confident the result will be worth the time that your machine will be unusable due to full power rendering.

^Lele^
05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
transparency please.
Good grief.

Integration with 3ds Max
V-Ray RT is an ActiveShade renderer in 3ds Max, separate from the production V-Ray renderer. V-Ray RT does not introduce new plugins other than the interactive renderer itself. Instead, the existing 3ds Max and V-Ray materials, textures, lights, cameras etc. are used.

V-Ray RT consists of two major components:

V-Ray RT interactive renderer in 3ds Max;
One or more V-Ray RT render servers.
V-Ray RT performs the actual rendering outside of 3ds Max itself, with the help of the V-Ray RT render server(s), which can run either locally on the same machine, or on other machine(s) in the local network. The renderer plugin in 3ds Max only relays the scene changes to the render servers and displays the final result.

Trial/Demo download
The trial build will be available as soon as the official version comes out. Please bear in mind that in order to use V-Ray RT, a current installation of V-Ray 1.50.sp3 or later is required.
This comes from the LINK on the first post.
Do at least a TINY bit of homework, before throwing tantrums about transparency.

Syndicate
05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
i'm not a chaosgroup customer as yet usually companies put details on their product pages not on forums..

my question is pretty basic, so why not answer here?

are they now making 2 products or is it still 1 product
re the price reduction what about the next upgrade? full price upgrade pricing or does the discount carryover?

i'm trying to compare this to final render's live previewer

transparency please.

Two seperate products, but both share the same hardware dongle (which requires a license update).
Not sure if you are aware but its been quite a few years and V-ray is yet to charge for an update. 1.5 was in my opinion a major release yet Chaosgroup didnt charge for it.

If there will be an update for Vray RT, It will most likely be free for existing RT customers. I cannot vouch for it, but that has been the way chaosgroup have done business so far.

I'm not sure if its wise to compare V-ray RT to any existing previewers, however if v-ray is currently in your workflow then you must agree that its more pipeline efficient to have to change as little as possible in your scene to achieve real time previews. As compared to converting a scene into something final render will work with.

cresshead
05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
so
2 products,
1 dongle
free updates [by looking at their history so far]

So you need $899 for vray if you don't own + $299 for RT = $1198
and $499 after the discout ends for RT plus $899 for vray = $1398

^Lele^
05-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Nearly right.
It's not a tool you're limited (or indeed suggested) to use locally.
It explicitly talks of render server(s).
It was born to be networked, and

Currently it is CPU-based. Does NOT require special graphics cards
Currently the V-Ray RT technology is based on CPUs - it does NOT require any special or expensive graphics cards. All V-Ray RT needs is CPUs. As usual - we will use ALL of your CPUs and cores at no extra license cost.

So, to that math, add in the not-so-minute detail that you'll be able to leverage your entire farm to do the renders.
So, a 900$ Vray license one paid for a good ferw years back, and never renewed, and 250 bucks to squeeze every little ounce of power from your idling farm, to do previews in RT OR renders at final quality (within the boundaries of what's supported to this day).
Not as bad even if you paid for the Vray standard license today.

BigPixolin
05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I think we are going to jump on this price aswell.

thatoneguy
05-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Are any distributed nodes being used in those Vimeo videos?

ThirdEye
05-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Odd?
It's chaosgroup.

Can you calm down please? Nobody's bringing on any "usual" negativity here. It's kinda weird that a company releasing a new product isn't showing much on the official website and one has to browse the forums (which requires a registration) to find something more than a feature list.
Also for some reason even if i'm registered all i can see is the pdplayer forums which obviously i don't care much about.

TRick
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
...It's kinda weird that a company releasing a new product isn't showing much on the official website and one has to browse the forums (which requires a registration) to find something more than a feature list...

It must be a trend to do weird introductions. I see Lightwave Core, Modo v4, VRay RT, Maxwell v2, fRender stg1R3 (??) and more. All very weird (in MY opinion), but all very good products (also in MY opinion). Now we can argue what is the better/best one and the more we argue the larger the fuss and the larger the sales !! All I can say for Chaos is that they stick to their reputation: even no PR is PR !!

thev
05-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Also for some reason even if i'm registered all i can see is the pdplayer forums which obviously i don't care much about.You should email vray@chaosgroup.com or register again; the forums were rebuilt a while back and if you did not activate your account you will not be able to see any of the forums.

ThirdEye
05-18-2009, 07:37 PM
You should email vray@chaosgroup.com or register again; the forums were rebuilt a while back and if you did not activate your account you will not be able to see any of the forums.

That explains it. Thanks Vlado.

ThirdEye
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Pardon my stupidity but i can't find any videos on the official forums either, is there anything we haven't already seen several months ago? All i can find is the usual 3-4 vids that have been posted long ago.

BigPixolin
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Same here just registered only get pdplayer aswell. Really want info but it is like pulling teeth.

grzesiekj
05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Czesc Gzesiek,

I think it will be available on Maya soon. Vray for Maya is in its last stages.

I'm getting back to v-ray after some intensive renderman usage. I'll let you know what I find out.

- J

Czesc :)
The preview on Vimeo looks pretty fast. Cant wait to see it work smoothly in Maya or XSI.

G

aglick
05-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Adam, you cannot see the benefits of such a tool? Really?

Hey Vlad!

Of COURSE! I can see the benefits of interactive/realtime raytracing in the viewport! ;)

I'm just curious to understand how a wide range of 3D artists (like the ones who are viewing this thread) are interpreting the value and usefulness of this capability in their everyday workflows.

I'm just taking everybody's "pulse"... ;)

Adam
BOXXlabs

mister3d
05-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Hey Vlad!

Of COURSE! I can see the benefits of interactive/realtime raytracing in the viewport! ;)

I'm just curious to understand how a wide range of 3D artists (like the ones who are viewing this thread) are interpreting the value and usefulness of this capability in their everyday workflows.

I'm just taking everybody's "pulse"... ;)

Adam
BOXXlabs

It's hard to judge before you tried it...I'm not sure whether it's very useful unless it can handle complex scenes. Those examples with a car and simple objects are too simple to judge.

^Lele^
05-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Can you calm down please? Nobody's bringing on any "usual" negativity here. It's kinda weird that a company releasing a new product isn't showing much on the official website and one has to browse the forums (which requires a registration) to find something more than a feature list.
Also for some reason even if i'm registered all i can see is the pdplayer forums which obviously i don't care much about.

Alberto, we've been through this stuff a zillion times before.
Vray for maya RC the latest one.
But there's a lot of examples from previous times, where anything chaosgroup is welcomed here with moaning and groaning because of forum registration, lack of marketing material, and so on and so forth.
The Chaosgroup people have always been, and i sincerely hope they will keep the attitude, about substance, rather than glitter.
No videos doesn't mean bad, means they kept the resources on to what mattered most, development (having access to the daily builds, i can tell you this much.).
Soon enough, I'm sure you'll see some stunning product concept based off VRayRT and Vray Standalone (i KNOW of them, just bound by nda, of course) not coming from Chaos themselves.
All i'd ask for would be some proactive behavior, rather than skipping links, not reading press releases, and so on and so forth.
And that should be enforced by Mods, really, to keep the discussion on track and to the point.
Instead of telling the likes of me to pipe it down, for instance :)
Have a bright day.

ThirdEye
05-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Alberto, we've been through this stuff a zillion times before.
Vray for maya RC the latest one.
But there's a lot of examples from previous times, where anything chaosgroup is welcomed here with moaning and groaning because of forum registration, lack of marketing material, and so on and so forth.
The Chaosgroup people have always been, and i sincerely hope they will keep the attitude, about substance, rather than glitter.
No videos doesn't mean bad, means they kept the resources on to what mattered most, development (having access to the daily builds, i can tell you this much.).
Soon enough, I'm sure you'll see some stunning product concept based off VRayRT and Vray Standalone (i KNOW of them, just bound by nda, of course) not coming from Chaos themselves.
All i'd ask for would be some proactive behavior, rather than skipping links, not reading press releases, and so on and so forth.
And that should be enforced by Mods, really, to keep the discussion on track and to the point.
Have a bright day.

Lele the problem is marketing and websites have their own function, which can't be skipped or ignored: showing people what your product is capable of. If i were a Vray user i'd be very curious about this since it could improve my workflow a lot but how can i be sure i want to spend 400 bucks if there isn't a single video showing the tool in action? All i can find is 3-4 videos that are at least one year old. If people are complaining maybe there's a good reason.

Wiro
05-19-2009, 11:56 AM

^Lele^, the mods' job is also to keep the peace and it would benefit Vray and Chaosgroup too if you would just calm down a bit and not take everything as a personal attack.

Wiro

^Lele^
05-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Any VRay user will tell you that the best value for money in the case of VRay is with the Forums.
That's where all the info are, and there is a very good reason for them being open to free subscribers as read-only.
Any Vray user will have used PPT at some point or the other, and by now will know that the RT is that, and a bit more.
Any Vray user will have a forum subscription (at least it gives access to that), and will be able to ask specific questions (which is exactly what's been going on these past days) directly to the developers, getting near-realtime answers.
There are emails (vray@chaosgroup.com) to which to write to, to get personal replies to personal questions.
Hence my suggestion to go and register (i honestly cannot accept the idea of registering, or re-registering- on a forum being a bother, in this day and age...), so to be able to read the very latest, in-dept information about the bespoken tool.

This said, the link provided within the first post had a LOT of informations for which questions have been asked in here, with what i called the "usual negativity" tone to them.
That's as good a marketing effort as i can imagine, but of course it can't and won't cover just all the bases.
Hence the forums :)

250 bucks is less than the price of a ps3.
I'm not sure there will be many VRay users (by now surely acquainted with Chaos' work ethics and quality) which will let the opportunity go by, tbh. ;)

^Lele^
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
^Lele^, the mods' job is also to keep the peace and it would benefit Vray and Chaosgroup too if you would just calm down a bit and not take everything as a personal attack.

Wiro
Why would you take a stark, but never offending, tone as reaction to a personal attack?
It's the way i write, or the contents of what's written, that matter?
I DO have a job and life, don't you worry about me getting a stroke on CGtalk posters.
However, i do get annoyed when the discussion digresses from its core subjects to pesky, peripheral issues.
And two times in as many threads, in the space of a week, in my opinion calls for moderation.
Want to moderate me, instead of others? Go for it, i won't take it personally :)

spurcell
05-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Chaos Group's method of marketing and advertisement has always been a bit....simplistic. They've always been more of a word of mouth kind of product, and to great effect, which is a testament to their great renderer. It can certainly make for some frustration with regards to information though. I can honestly say though, that its reeealy hard to beat their customer service, once you've purchased the product and made yourself available to their forums.

If you've ever met vlado, you'd see that he's kind of this shy genius type. More interested in substance then flash. Which I think might explain their understated marketing.

Oh and Lele, relax my friend, your blood pressure will thank you :wavey:

TRick
05-19-2009, 12:47 PM
This thread should really about the wonderful fact that Max finally gets his own FPrime or Modo-like (somehow more or less) interactive preview renderer. Of course there are other (GPU dependant) options, but they are surely not the same. FinalRender will also have it's own implementation with R3 and this can all just make my workflow faster and consequently better. If you really have to adjust lights or materials on a daily basis, $300 is a steal !!! Even if you have to buy a VRay license for it !! If you want to feel safe before buying into this, just mail Chaos or wait for users experiences !!

Nixon
05-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I am a vray user, and fan for many years and I would definatelly like to get their kind of support from the major companies out there. I know that Chaos Group policies does not make much sense to ordinary people, but to me it is one of the best software policies in the world - taking care of both the users and the creators.

The fact that several years after the introduction of so many Third-party renderers for max Vray stands out as the true market and tech leader is without doubt. I got hooked into Final Render and Brazil a long time ago, mostly because of their marketing materials and websites, but after a little time of production usage found out Vray is far superior.

I don't know if anyone here quoting prices really remembers what mental ray costed when it was still a plugin, but let me remind you - 3200$. Not to mention the additional price per render processors. And even further, not to mention how useful it was. You cound't render most of the third party textures for instance.

If Chaosgroup spended more time on marketing they would have been even more successful in financial terms, but I really prefer the slow and steady approach they've kept through the years.

In one line: I'm buying, as soon as it becomes available. They surely deserve the money.

thev
05-19-2009, 01:56 PM
i'm not a chaosgroup customer as yet usually companies put details on their product pages not on forums..From the web site http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vrayrt.html
Shading
The following shading effects are supported by V-Ray RT:

Diffuse materials;
Bump and normal mapping;
Transparency;
Clear reflections and refractions;
Blurry reflections/refractions:

Phong, Blinn and Ward reflection models;
Anisotropy;

Absorption (fog) for refractive materials;
Layered materials;
Two-sided (translucent) materials;
Self-illuminated materials.

ThirdEye
05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Will VRay RT be extended to support the other apps (Maya, C4D, Rhino...) supported by VRay?

scottsch
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
This is basically a render region in XSI.

It would be nice if this was integrated into vray, but seeing as how much time is saved with real time render region, it is worth it (at the intro price). 3dsmax has always been behind XSI because of no render region w/ vray.

I guess XSI users could also gloat that we have had this for years. :beer:

PiotrekM
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
its not like xsi render region.

its not like FPRIME.

cresshead
05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
From the web site http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vrayrt.html

cherry picking quotes is not representative of reality

transparency was about details on vray and future pricing not is vray HAD transparency!

jdollus
05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
>>3dsmax has always been behind XSI because of no render region w/ vray.

This has been available as a script for quite some time to render a region in the active viewport - i'll see if I can dig it up

^Lele^
05-19-2009, 04:59 PM
cherry picking quotes is not representative of reality

transparency was about details on vray and future pricing not is vray HAD transparency!
lmao, i *think* that was to be intended as sarcasm...

ThirdEye
05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
its not like xsi render region.

its not like FPRIME.

it'd be nice if we could get to know what it IS instead of what it is not.

jdollus
05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Is it the same is Maya's IPR and Max's ActiveShade with the added benefit of being able to offload the calcs to any distributed cpus you happen to have around as opposed to relying exclusively on the host cpu?

CHRiTTeR
05-19-2009, 05:39 PM
it'd be nice if we could get to know what it IS instead of what it is not.

In max, where you can select the renderer of choice, you can select vray, but theres also an option where you can choose a replacement for the default ActiveShade renderer. As far as I know no one has ever made use of this option before. This is where you can choose to use Vray RT. So you still use the normal version of vray for normal/final rendering.

After you have selected vray RT to be your 'activeshade' renderer you can select one of your max viewports to use vrays RT preview (just like you could with activeshade) which updates automaticly when a change is made to the scene.

I think its fairly safe to say that it is based/build on vray's path tracer, but probably with some optimisations that make it a tad less accurate but blistering fast. So the differences to the final render and the preview are really kept to a minimal.
Perfect for a quick but much more reliable preview to see how changes you make will look when rendered at final production quality. So you dont need to waste time guessing and doing test renders to check how some changes look. This will save vray users tons of time (and thus money).

It shows MUCH more reliable previews than the current direct-x previews which uses different shading and dont show reflections, gi, etc...

TRick
05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
...its not like FPRIME.

Looking at the demo's it surely behaves like FPrime, so please explain !!

^Lele^
05-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Official release announcement.

Chaos Software is pleased to announce the official release of V-Ray RT for 3dsMax. The first interactive renderer of this kind for 3dsMax will be available for immediate purchase on June 1st, 2009.

Created with the busy and rigorous 3D artist in mind, this topnotch raytracing technology allows immediate interaction between the user and the virtual environment. V-Ray RT follows the userís actions while working on the scene and automatically and progressively generates a photorealistic preview of the scene. Designed to improve and fasten the artistís work on the Texturing and Lightening stage V-Ray RT fully supports: Interactivity, Animation, Illumination, Global illumination, Shading effects, Texturing, Camera effects, Color mapping, and Distributed rendering.

Click here to read the full information on V-Ray RT. (http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vrayrt.html?ff=ENMMON)

What isn't clear?
The link contains a detailed feature list.
There are videos showing it at work, with simple, moderate and fairly complex scenes.
It's not like FPrime, unless FPrime uses a form of path tracing.
It's not like the Maya IPR, as the quality attainable is that of a final image, when given enough time to converge, with the effects in bold in the first post quoted above.
It's fully networkable, so it's like neither of those.
I'm honestly at a loss, here.

CHRiTTeR
05-19-2009, 06:48 PM
It's not like FPrime, unless FPrime uses a form of path tracing.

To be honnest he wasnt talking about how it does it, but what it does.
The point is that both offer quick updates and incrementally increases the quality over time.

So in that regard it is simular to what FPrime does, but this is for vray users in 3Ds max.
Fprime is for lightwave users.

ThirdEye
05-19-2009, 08:10 PM
There are videos showing it at work, with simple, moderate and fairly complex scenes. It's not like FPrime, unless FPrime uses a form of path tracing.

LW never had path tracing so obviously FPrime doesn't use it, but it supports GI anyway. However you say there are videos showing it at work, i haven't been lucky, i found nothing on the Chaos Group board except those old videos everyone has already seen a number of times, would you please link me those vids you're talking about if they're newer? Thank you. :)

TwinSnakes
05-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey ThirdEye. There are currently two videos showing VrayRT. Both versions are on YouTube.

Since it's been published, the beta testers are allowed to release there content that was under NDA. That will be happening in the coming weeks, as I understand it.

VrayRT uses the very accurate brute force algorithm for primary and secondary bounces via bi-directional path tracing.

One point I'd also like to clarify is, that Vray RT is a fire-and-forget implementation. Setting up a shot is as simple as defining: geometry, materials, lights, and a camera. No more fiddling with complex menu(s) to configure an optimal render setting. Vray RT gives you a quick preview representation, and then converges to a production quality image in a few minutes.

It differs from FPrime in that its the full representation of the scene with access to all shaders, which I understand FPrime's access to materials is limited in some fashion.

It differs from XSI's render region in two ways: it's interactive, and it doesnt require any render settings to achieve a production quality image.

It differs from both in that it can be distributed across multiple machines and OS's. Setting up a distributed setup is a simple as defining a port and IP address. Your textures can be visible to the network, or manually copied to each node.

Another thing unique to VrayRT is, VrayRT can support hardware acceleration. That means, in a future release, your GPU could help out, also they are looking at the new CausticRT system from Caustic Graphics. Which is a new hardware acceleration card they (ChaosGroup) are researching for VrayRT support.

VrayRt Current Limitations:
* No Displacement
* No SSS
* No Render Elements

ThirdEye
05-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey ThirdEye. There are currently two videos showing VrayRT. Both versions are on YouTube.

Since it's been published, the beta testers are allowed to release there content that was under NDA. That will be happening in the coming weeks, as I understand it.

VrayRT uses the very accurate brute force algorithm for primary and secondary bounces via bi-directional path tracing.

One point I'd also like to clarify is, that Vray RT is a fire-and-forget implementation. Setting up a shot is as simple as defining: geometry, materials, lights, and a camera. No more fiddling with complex menu(s) to configure an optimal render setting. Vray RT gives you a quick preview representation, and then converges to a production quality image in a few minutes.

It differs from FPrime in that its the full representation of the scene with access to all shaders, which I understand FPrime's access to materials is limited in some fashion.

It differs from XSI's render region in two ways: it's interactive, and it doesnt require any render settings to achieve a production quality image.

It differs from both in that it can be distributed across multiple machines and OS's. Setting up a distributed setup is a simple as defining a port and IP address. Your textures can be visible to the network, or manually copied to each node.

Another thing unique to VrayRT is, VrayRT can support hardware acceleration. That means, in a future release, your GPU could help out, also they are looking at the new CausticRT system from Caustic Graphics. Which is a new hardware acceleration card they (ChaosGroup) are researching for VrayRT support.

VrayRt Current Limitations:
* No Displacement
* No SSS
* No Render Elements

This is very interesting and useful, thanks :)

TAVO
05-22-2009, 10:54 PM

the Vray Plugin does not ?? what is the differnce between this algorithm and the one in the plugin if they are different ?? i heard some time a go that vray was using Quasi Montecarlo but i really donīt know the difference. Thanks.

ThirdEye
05-22-2009, 11:32 PM
the Vray Plugin does not ?? what is the differnce between this algorithm and the one in the plugin if they are different ?? i heard some time a go that vray was using Quasi Montecarlo but i really donīt know the difference. Thanks.

Vray offers several GI/Radiosity methods to compute indirect illumination, bidirectional path tracing is one of them. I guess they optimized Vray RT so it uses BPT only so you don't have to worry about render settings or choosing a method.

Lman
05-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Out if interest can I get graphics cards to contribute power to the real time render?
Is there a way I could do this with Vray- RT or is it only CPU based?

after seen a few Vray RT videos last year sometime I am now Looking forward to seeing how well Vray RT works for real.
should be fun.

Regards
Lman

3DMadness
05-24-2009, 04:50 PM

I'm sure i've seen recently a vlado presentation showing vray RT and vray beta for maya, but I can't find the link...

And probably that's a different algorithm, brute force in vray indeed uses quasi-monte carlo, from the videos I can guess the brute force from the RT is based on the path tracing method using light cache as showed in vray's manual: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/tutorials_pathtracing.htm

But I'm looking forward to test it and find out what it uses. :)

TwinSnakes
05-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Hey 3dMadness,

Here's one of the latest videos showing VrayRT. It shows glossy reflection, refraction, object lighting and environmental GI all at once in (near) real time.

Enjoy.

http://www.ascantica.com/test/Ascantica/video.php?vid=vrayrt_tutorial_1.flv

Szos
05-25-2009, 04:48 AM
I seems interesting and all, but not being truly interactive is a bummer.

Not supporting GPUs is rather surprising in my opinion.

It also looks like this is strictly just for "previews" - in other words, if you wanted a final image saved out, you'd actually have to re-render (and wait however long that would take).

Seems like this tech is moving along, but no where near there yet.

ThirdEye
05-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey 3dMadness,

Here's one of the latest videos showing VrayRT. It shows glossy reflection, refraction, object lighting and environmental GI all at once in (near) real time.

Enjoy.

Finally something new, thanks for posting it. If you find more keep posting :)

3DMadness
05-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey 3dMadness,

Enjoy.

Thanks for posting, but this wasn't the video I've seen.

BTW, do you have the second part the guy was talking about in this video? :D

TwinSnakes
05-26-2009, 06:25 PM

VrayRT's "interactiveness" is in line with all other engines that provide this type of functionality. Its not a fully realized environment where you are doing post-production, but it merely automatically responds to user changes.

I dont personally know of another engine that supports GPU integration that can also produce a production quality image.

It also looks like this is strictly just for "previews" - in other words, if you wanted a final image saved out, you'd actually have to re-render (and wait however long that would take).

Look at the video again and the poster shows two Vray RT implementations. The first one is a host-independant, standalone window with the standard Vray Render Window controls (saving an image, color curves, red/green/blue channels, etc.). The second approach is the 3DS Max specific ShaderView.

scottsch
05-26-2009, 11:38 PM
The new video (link several posts above) that was posted to the vray forums is very helpful. This isn't render region, that's for sure, the speed is quite unreal especially the glossy reflections combined with refraction, not that you really need them previewed that way in every project (glass is glass).

vrRT looks to be most helpful in adjusting interior lighting setups, which is nice, since not being able to see the effects of GI really slows down the lighting phase of a project, at least for me.

I thinks it's more helpful to have a little less speed here and more accuracy, as a bad or mediocre preview of lighting is pretty useless when refining scenes that have GI.

vlad
05-27-2009, 01:21 AM

Seems like this tech is moving along, but no where near there yet.

Are people actually expecting instant fully rendered frames???

Pepril
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
The new video is OK (could be much better IMO) and gives you some sort of idea about what is going on. Its really strange that its not hosted on their main site with a page that has all pertinent info. Digging through forums to find out if I want to buy something is not what I (or most people) want to do. It just seems a bit underground and shady.

The video looks cool but I wonder how useful this is. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be completely negative because I like the implemntation in max and how it works a lot. But How useful is it if it doesn't use the settings from the "real" renderer? You can set up materials and lights but not be getting the correct light at all that you would see in a final render. So you can have full interactive previews of something you will not actually use in the end and ultimately need to set up the full Vray renderer settings (with many full render previews) to get a complete and final render?

I could be off base here but again there is way to little info out there presented in a very unprofetional way so who is to know what is what?

Best
Pep

ThirdEye
05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
But How useful is it if it doesn't use the settings from the "real" renderer? You can set up materials and lights but not be getting the correct light at all that you would see in a final render.

Eh? The only difference is it uses PPT for GI, that's it afaik.

3DMadness
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
The new video is OK (could be much better IMO) and gives you some sort of idea about what is going on. Its really strange that its not hosted on their main site with a page that has all pertinent info. Digging through forums to find out if I want to buy something is not what I (or most people) want to do. It just seems a bit underground and shady.

The video looks cool but I wonder how useful this is. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be completely negative because I like the implemntation in max and how it works a lot. But How useful is it if it doesn't use the settings from the "real" renderer? You can set up materials and lights but not be getting the correct light at all that you would see in a final render. So you can have full interactive previews of something you will not actually use in the end and ultimately need to set up the full Vray renderer settings (with many full render previews) to get a complete and final render?

I could be off base here but again there is way to little info out there presented in a very unprofetional way so who is to know what is what?

Best
Pep
I bet if you use light cache for GI you'll get very close result to the RT. ;)

And probably the videos aren't on chaosgroup site because it haven't been released yet, and they said there will be a demo so we all can give it a try instead of watching videos.

Pepril
05-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Eh? The only difference is it uses PPT for GI, that's it afaik.
Not sure about that. There is a ton more settings to render out a good GI solution and render then just setting the GI type. The video says it uses no settings and just dose its own real time thing. But again I don't really know as information is limited and rather cryptic.

And probably the videos aren't on chaosgroup site because it haven't been released yet, and they said there will be a demo so we all can give it a try instead of watching videos.
Right.. Why is it that the best source of info is a rather dodgy video on some unrelated site? If I'm going to pay $XXX plus $XXX for Vray, I would like a simple page that goes over all the features and limitations with pleasing graphics I can look at that show the UI and example images. In this day and age (and economy!) I would also like to see some demo videos that show the function of each of these features made by the company. Lets take a look at... Modo, XSI, 3ds max, Fry, Maxwell, etc... I cant be crazy here?

Are people really saying "we don't need to know what the product dose with examples and clear demo's to buy. Its Ok to scour forums and get piece meal videos from underground sources." Clear, present, and transparent information is essential to the purchase of a product like this. I think the demo product is good but most of the time I, my boss or the lighting TD don't have even that time to invest at first with no other info.

Best
Pep

TwinSnakes
06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
The VrayRT demo version has been released. So, you'll start to see more videos and information coming out about VrayRT.

http://www.trinity3d.com/media/chaos_group/VRayRTmovies.shtml

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.