PDA

View Full Version : Default Lighting in maya 2008 question...

bezzeler2000
05-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Hello CGS family- I have a question about default lighting in maya when you have lights present in your scene. I have a scene with 3 spot lights but I want to hide them and just do some texture testing with the default lighting. When I hide the lights the scene renders black because there are no lights present. Instead of rendering black, I would like it to render using maya's default lighting. Is it possible to set maya to use the default lighting if the lights in your scene are hidden?

thank you everyone

God bless

Trapper
05-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes it is possible! After you hide your lights (or turn them off), go to the redner options menu. Under the "common" tab, scroll down and turn on "Use Maya default lighting."

bezzeler2000
05-18-2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks for responding Trapper but I tried that and it doesn't seem to work. I have "enable default lighting" checked on but I'm still getting black. Now if I delete the lights its works just fine, but with lights in the scene, I'm not having any success.

kanooshka
05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
The reason the default light is not working is because you still have the lights connected to the default render layer whether you hide them or not. If you really want to use the default light you could always create a new render layer and just add your geometry. That will prevent any lights from being attached to the layer.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.