PDA

View Full Version : roofing tiles: bump or model?

jCastile
05-17-2009, 08:04 PM
How would you do red clay barrel tiles (mission/terra cotta) on a roof? Bump or model? The tiles likely won't ever take up more than a third of any image. A combination of wedged rows and a wavy bumps to create the columns? Model each one? Bump each one? Has anyone ever seen a good 3d render of these?

Terraplex
06-06-2009, 04:16 AM
First off, what program are you using?

It depends on what this is for and the way you render it. Unless you want it to look insanely perfect and take long to render, I'd go with the bump map. Should be easy to find some with google. If you're feeling creative, you could go into photoshop and draw the top down view of one tile in gray scale. (Light being high spots and black being lowest) Just copy one tile around in the pattern you want and save it as a .png or whatever, then import it to your material library. I'd just texture the whole roof, one section at a time with the same image.

Same idea goes if you want to model the tiles individually. Just make a basic cylinder shape, cut it in half or however much you want, and squash/bevel/texture to your liking. Then you can make half a million instances, line them up on the roof, and you're all set. :)

Another way you could do it is like this: http://people.virginia.edu/~ewg4x/house_of_the_drinking_contest.jpg
As you can see, it's just textured for the horizontal lines, but they used booleans to get the columns. If I knew what program you were using, I could explain how to do that. Maya is simple, but 3DS Max is more round about the way I know how to do it.

Keep us posted.

jCastile
06-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm using Maya and PS. That is one of the effects I was looking to recreate. For this particular problem I was looking to recreate the "fish-scale" look. I know there's a proper technical name for those things but darned if I can remember. I've actually gone and done it in PS. I took a square image, masked off a curve on the bottom half, added a gradient, repeated that a few times horizontally, then did another course above that and then another. Then I just repeated that into a 2k tex. Found a good picture of some steel of all things to use as the color made it tileable, copied the grayscale shingle texture into a new layer set to overlay, then added a grunge layer in overlay mode as well.

The grunge layer actually has some minor tiling issues still due to obvious pattern repetition which I will fix later, but I somehow managed to save the PSD while the layers were flattened lol... c'est la vie

But... all in all, it passes and will actually be quite good once I fix the pattern repetition.

Here it is:
[EDIT]lol I guess I was looking for terra cotta at the time of this post...

Terraplex
06-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Looks good. I'm interested in how it looks on the building.

jCastile
06-16-2009, 04:10 PM
When I have a chance to finish the new one I'll post the render and the full res tex :beer:

Ject
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Just a suggestion, but you could use a displacement map too. That way, you would get the geometry deformation you want without having to have thousands of extra polys.

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.