PDA

View Full Version : Fake or Foto for LightWave

Kvaalen
07-18-2003, 11:55 AM
I suppose many of you know about the Fake or Foto test at the Alias|Wavefront site:

http://www.alias.com/eng/etc/fakeorfoto/index.html

I know it wouldn't be appropriate if NewTek put up such a thing on their site, but I thought it would be a cool idea if us users created such a thing.

I've seen images created with LightWave that look much more realistic than the images they display for the test.
I'm not trying to say LightWave is better, I just think it's a cool idea and would be fun and interesting to see the results.

I'd be willing to do the coding if people are willing to donate a couple images (credit would be given).

Another problem is that in order to save the records, it would need to be on a server that supports PHP and MySQL (or some other database system but I prefer MySQL), which my server doesn't support.

If you'd be willing to help with this project or want to comment, post away! :thumbsup:

CourtJester
07-18-2003, 03:50 PM
I've actually pondered the idea of a contest "in reverse" -- instead of trying to do photoreal CGI, try to take real-world photos that look CG and fake out the pros. We're so used to spotting the giveaways in CGI, it would be instructive to test one's own abilities in that regard by trying to pass off reality as CG.

I got this idea from those days where, after we'd been working too hard, colleagues would point out the "crappy Skytracer settings" in the sky... this was Las Vegas, where the clouds would occasionally take on the curvy look of low frequencies settings in Skytracer.

By the way, the pix on that A/W page are over two years old.

Zarathustra
07-18-2003, 05:50 PM
I remember years ago thinking a lot of the composits I would see in film or TV had backgrounds that were too dulled out...and then I went to LA for SIGGRAPH. HA! That's how everything looks out there thanks to the air pollution. The arial perspective is 10X what it is in Philadelphia. Between the air and the plasticity of the people I felt I was in a CG set! :D
Most photos of LA would probably look fake to me.

note - "people" refers to the on the street people and not my fellow animators :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.