PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Shader Help

hazenobu
05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I need to do the material that similar to the new macbook Aluminium.
I try to use clear sand to get the look of the surface but it seem doesn't work.
As i know new macbook actually have a noise texture and have some glow when the light hit the surface but it doesn't have much of reflection at all, thanks a lot.

scrimski
05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
It might be usefull to mention the used software/renderer.

hazenobu
05-16-2009, 08:23 PM
I use maya 2009 with Mentalray and using HDRI as Environment.

almightie
05-20-2009, 10:54 AM
If you have latest version of max then use A&D material>go to presets>Use Brushed metal and then put HDRi its to its environment slot.....it is advised to keep your model in to proper scales otherwise it will be difficult to achieve proper aluminum effect and lighting effect.....if you are talking abt some different effect then post one reference image showing what kind of texture u want to make so we can point the right direction

(Small Advice/request: never f'get to mention softwares and versions you are using because parameters might change on software to software or version to version basis....explaining correct detail will help everyone to provide pin point solution)

Ciao

BobVelocity
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Are you using Maya?

BobVelocity
06-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Sorry, just saw that you are.

BobVelocity
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM
You could use a layered shader with phong e's. Top layer can be almost glass with blurred reflections. Underneath that you can use another Phong with a noise map plugged into the specular colour. Or even simpler use the MIA with satined metal preset with a noise texture plugged into reflective colour. Make sure your U.V's and normals are correct if using an anistopic though.

B4C
06-17-2009, 07:39 PM
(Small Advice/request: never f'get to mention softwares and versions you are using because parameters might change on software to software or version to version basis....explaining correct detail will help everyone to provide pin point solution)

What would be the equivalent of the self-illumination parameter for Max in Maya?

BobVelocity
06-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Ambient or incandescent channels are good for this. Maybe add a ramp to give you more control and colours.

cbamber85
06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
What would be the equivalent of the self-illumination parameter for Max in Maya?

Additional Colour attribute in MR's mia_material.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.