PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Shake and DF?

RudeYuut
07-18-2003, 03:28 AM
What's the difference between Shake and DF? I went to the Mac expo and saw them demoing shake. They demoed a scene from X-men 2. When Mystique breaks into the complex as Wolverine and is captured by soldiers, which was really cool. I know that DF was also used as one of the compositing software for the movie. I know that both programs are really good, but I was wondering what are the differences. (I really don't want this to turn into a flame war.) Thanks in advance.

Pyro2301
07-18-2003, 05:03 AM
One of the biggest key differences that matter to me is how they render. Shake is scanline which is a lot easier on RAM. DF takes up a lot more RAM to render which can really screw you sometimes.

-Victor

alexx
07-18-2003, 10:16 AM
not that i am a real DF user, but i had it in hand from time to time..

comparing them is like comparing 3d applications e.g.
those 2 packages are quite similar in the way they work.

but concerning the toolset i would say, that shake is more the one to do handle film and compositing better as opposed to DF to handle fx stuff a *bit* easier..

but i guess others will say the exact opposite :)

concluding i would say: they are both very very equal to each other (and after reading the latest specs on the newest DF, i would even say very very very equal)

cheers

alexx

crgowo
07-19-2003, 01:14 AM
what does that mean scanline renderer?
ive heard scanline before but have no idea what that is or means. thanks

Pyro2301
07-19-2003, 04:27 AM
It's a render that renders an image as a series of horizontal lines.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.