PDA

View Full Version : need expert advice on HDRI Lighting

DEVILSAN
05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
What type of shots are done with HDRI lighting....

I mean in what scenarios HDRI lighting is usefull and how HDRI lighting will be preferable over lighting up cg with software lights to match...

phix314
05-19-2009, 01:10 AM
I'd say they're used in conjunction more than "one or the other". HDRI obviously gives the reflections and the FG/photon lighting, but for shadows and whatnot a "practical" light would be a better alternative than emitting the light from the HDR dome itself.

In the high res car rendering from gnomonology, he has 2 versions: one high res sharp map for reflections/refractions, and a small blurry map for the FG solution, in addition to the actual lights he has in the scene.

DEVILSAN
05-19-2009, 05:17 AM
In the high res car rendering from gnomonology, he has 2 versions: one high res sharp map for reflections/refractions, and a small blurry map for the FG solution, in addition to the actual lights he has in the scene.
what gnomon tuts are you reffering too...

phix314
05-19-2009, 08:49 AM
what gnomon tuts are you reffering too...

In the high res car rendering from gnomonology...

It's actually on the regular gnomon site, apologies. It's under the Maya section. This is only tangible example I have for you.

RagingBull
05-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Don't forget that the HDR isn't just blurred, it should be done with the HDR Shop plug-in 'diffuse_sh.exe' and resized to quite a small resolution. I have to use 'picturenaut' to run that plug-in as HDRShop doesn't seem to like my system.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2009, 11:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.