PDA

View Full Version : can a wrap influence a wrap object?

quyeno
07-18-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi guys,

just wondering if i can use wrap influence to skin a subD mesh to my then create a blend shape muscle as a wrap influence on the skin wrap object? do you think that would work?

Lomax
07-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Wrap objects are still deformable, otherwise they wouldn't be useful for skinning :p
Here's Stahlberg's tutorial for wrap skinning: http://www.androidblues.com/rigtut.html
He explains the process perfectly. :thumbsup:

quyeno
07-18-2003, 10:53 PM
stahlbergs method seems a bit confusing. i'm not too sure about the workflow.

create a subD mesh that you want to rig to a skeleton, then create several low poly copies of it. use one copy as the wrap and the others for blend shapes. but how does he get the sculpted blend shapes? does he pose then detach then sculpt the blend shape. this would mean he will have to bind another copy then reimport weights again. the tutorial isn't that clear IMO, i would really appreciate it if anyone can clarify the workflow.

thanks

Lomax
07-19-2003, 03:29 AM
I think you copy the base mesh, and add the copy as a target.
Bend either the arm or the leg, make the blendshape active, and start pulling points (on the copied mesh) until the skinned mesh looks the way it should.
The most difficult part will getting the verts to move where you want them to. You'll know what I mean when you try it out. ;)

quyeno
07-19-2003, 11:04 AM
i think i kinda get what you mean...

create a low poly blend base and use it as the wrap. copy the base several times and create an active blend shapes. skin the wrap to you rig, weight and pose, keep the pose then edit the relevant blend targets until the blend base (wrap) is the shape you want? is that right?:hmm: :shrug:

Doogie
07-19-2003, 12:10 PM
To answer the top question, yes. I've use a wrap deformer on a blend shaped head (to the low poly) and again on that low poly to the final model.

I warn you though; wrap deformers are really, really slow and I also had errors like this.
http://www.paulfranz.com/Forums/wrapError.jpg

Id suggest a direct connection using MeshOut -> MeshIn.

-Paul

Lomax
07-19-2003, 01:49 PM
I ran into similar errors a while back. What fixed it for me was having the wrap deformer operate on the vertices instead to the faces.

Doogie
07-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Finally an answer! (4 months after I finished the project)

Did it speed things up? (I still think a direct connection would be faster than a wrap deformer)

Lomax
07-19-2003, 07:21 PM
At the time, I didn't have time to check if it was faster.
It might just depend on how things are modeled. If you have a subD mesh directly converted from polygons, the connection editor might be better. If you have any level edits on the mesh, you may need to go with wrap deformers. I could be wrong, though... :shrug:

Doogie
07-20-2003, 03:12 AM
Yeah, that's why I didn't try it any other way at the time (I creased verts and did a few other tweaks)

Have you (or anyone) had problems binding the poly proxie? You could even then MeshOut->MeshIn to the proxie (for blend shapes or whatever).

Either way, I think I'm gunna aviod SubDs until Alias fixes them in Maya.

-Paul

Lomax
07-20-2003, 03:52 AM
Binding the proxy should work just fine, whether it's subD level 0 or CPS. I've done both without any problems.

One thing I don't understand about Maya's subDs is the levels. You can choose not to use them, but they are still there. Why can't we have subDs that are still parametric, but don't have the levels? I would think this would dramatically speed things up.

Doogie
07-20-2003, 04:13 AM
I know =/ Has Maya really changed anything with SubDs since like 3.0? (other than including it in Complete and Unlimited). I think there's a lot of room for improvement in Maya's SubDs. They still get errors occasionally when rendering, and they also mess up my UVs when I either polySmooth or convert to SubDs!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.