PDA

View Full Version : simple lighting question (Maya)

TomasWarren
05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Hello there. Is there any way for an object (say, a ground plane) to NOT be lit by a light but still receive shadows from that light via other objects in the scene?

thankyou :)

TomasWarren
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Hey well i figured out a way..it's a bit of a hack. I was hoping for a slightly simpler solution but this'll do.

Essentially i duplicated the shadow-casting light and made the duplicate a negative version of its original, thus keeping the shadow but cancelling out any illumination gained from the shadow-casting light.

I think what i was originally looking for was a shadow linker functionality similar to the light linker already in Maya, however it doesn't exist in the same form.

If anyone knows a better way than this let me know, cheers

jeremybirn
05-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Sounds like you fixed your problem already. Just as a note for the future, another way to make a "shadows only" light in Maya is to use just one light with a black color and a negative shadow color.

There's a key option in Render Settings where you chose whether shadows follow light linking, ignore light linking, or follow shadow linking. If you're doing light linking but still want all objects to cast shadows, set shadows to ignore light linking.

-jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2009, 04:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.