PDA

View Full Version : surface on objects

rolhionjs
07-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if it was possible to assign all surfaces of an object to another without copying/pasting each surface to the 2nd object (admiting the 2nd object has the same surface names but not the different channels applied) ?

Any ideas ?

Steve Warner
07-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1673

Hope this helps!

Steve

rolhionjs
07-17-2003, 09:20 PM
man.... you definitly saved my life ! :beer: :buttrock:

thanks alot ! :)

Remi
07-17-2003, 09:23 PM
Hey steve....do you use every plugin possible...hehe you're a great contributer to lighwavers...hat's off to you sir:applause:

aurora
07-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Remi are you joking!?! Not only does Steve have every plugin possible ( and a few not possible I believe) he knows all the in and outs of each and every one!

E_Moelzer
07-17-2003, 10:31 PM
I always try to do things without relying on plugins.
Here is what I do:
In Modeler load both objects. Copy the object that should have its surfaces replaced by the ones of the other. Paste the geometry into an empty layer of the "giver"- object.
Copy it again and paste it into a new clear object. Save the new object.
CU
Elmar

Steve Warner
07-17-2003, 10:49 PM
STRIKE: Glad I could help. :) And glad to see you in the LW forum!

Remi: Well, I am the plug-in maven (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=maven). ;) I generally try out every plug-in I can get my hands on. In my spare time, I'm working on a website dedicated to plug-in tutorials, but that probably won't launch for several more months. I love the fact that LightWave is expandable in this manner. It reminds me of Photoshop. The base application is extremely powerful, but plug-ins can increase that power exponentially. I remember having to create all my drop shadows in Photoshop by hand. Then along came Alien Skin's Black Box. It changed everything. The same can be said of so many LightWave plug-ins. What floors me is that most of the really useful plugins - the ones I use every single day - are free. The contributions of people like Faulkermano, Cman, and Fujio Ichikawa simply can't be underestimated, in my opinion. Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Thanks for the kind remarks, Remi!!

aurora: Ha! I wish! But thanks for thinking so! :)

E_Moelzer: That's a great tip! Thanks!

Cheers!

Steve

aurora
07-17-2003, 11:24 PM
I love the fact that LightWave is expandable in this manner. It reminds me of Photoshop. The base application is extremely powerful, but plug-ins can increase that power exponentially.
Thats one of the best descriptions I have heard about LW! Most people complain about all the plugins but thats what I love most about LW. Sure the Maya community is gone ballistic thanks to MEL but I think LW is still the tops in this area. I just pray that LW8 expands on the SDK flexibility. If I were to voice one complaint on LW is that in Maya absolutely everything is a node which can be modified with MEL or SDK coding. There are still a number of things in LW that are off limits. I'm looking forward to seeing this new website of yours.:drool:

rolhionjs
07-17-2003, 11:31 PM
E_Moelzer : cool tip ! thanks to share it ! :)

I agree with steve and aurora : Lightwave is really an awesome customized application ! There's always a solution when having a problem on how to do this thing or this one, etc...

I'm not ready to change my favorite application :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.