PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy and the Gypsy

CircusRobot
05-14-2009, 01:28 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g93/377693/377693_1242259526_large.jpg

I know it's kinda late in the game for a critique but I just joined yesterday. Anyway, several things don't feel right and my hunch is the compostiion just isn't very dynamic. This is really just practice for me since I'm really new to digital painting/illustration so please critique my technique, and color usage as well, or give general painting tips that may apply. I'm just a student at a small art school in Texas so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance!

acb12
05-14-2009, 09:01 AM
well first of all i gotta say i rly like your pic and the idea of it ^_^
now 1 thing concerning the things you drew -what is that small thing with the umbrella flying next to this gipsy woman ^_^ ? just out of curiousity ^_^

well concerning the pic-
i rly like the style yuve applied here and about the stage of the pic i think now its just on insisting on the fine details cuz i dont think (on my opinion at least ) that there needs to be and drastic change so now its only playing with the fine details and maybe lightning ^_^

i think you could try maybe adding some dark shadow(not much but making it darker at the tips of thee image) on the upper part of the pic (above the window and next to the images and sofas on both size )to maybe try focusing the viewer on the highlighted area cuz im guessing thats the part where you want it to focus on and maybe playing with the darks and lights of the chars for better emphasizing the places you want the viewer to go .

rly looking forward for updates ^_^

CircusRobot
05-14-2009, 09:20 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g93/377693/377693_1242332969_large.jpg

I messed with the levels a little and I think I like this better, it's hard to tell since I've been looking at the other version for a week now. Oh and if you look real closely it's a little boy in a baseball hat on the umbrella. I know he is hard to see but this image is part of a larger story and it would be obvious what it is in context.

DreamMaster
05-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi there, I love your style! :D

I think I'll do a short overpaint on your image, see if I can get it a bit more dramatic if you like, I'll edit this post when I do.

I see that with background as the brightest light source, you can make the character more separated and become more obvious in composition by using brighter highlight for the back light source. But again, I'll do it way better if I can do a little overpainting then I can see for myself that it works or not. Coloring is my favorite hobby. ;)

Otherwise, all is good! Just one thing though, that floating boy, it's a little hard to see what it is at first, can you, prehaps make it somehow more clear? Just a suggestion here. :)

Cheers.

EDITED:

I did a overpaint... The obvious fixes I did was on the character, dimming some parts such as hands, pants, tshirt and hat and added a bit brighter highlight source from background in order to make it pop out some more. As you can see, it feels more natural than using contrast adjustment. :)

Maybe it's helpful, I hope so. ;)

And also the shadows aren't muddy in this one, I like that. No worries.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/beauty7/critism.jpg

CircusRobot
05-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and overpaint away! Something else has bothered me and I'm wondering what other people think. Are the shadows to dull or muddy? I know using black is an unforgivable sin in painting with oils but getting things overly black is so easy to do on the computer. Just curious what other people thought.

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2009, 05:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.