PDA

View Full Version : Z-depth cames white!

pbraganca
05-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Whenever I render with Z-depth turned on it does always comes white on Fcheck.
I know that there are workarounds such as "puppet shading network" or doing a preset on a render layer.

But what I am really looking forward is to know if someone can help me figuring out why is coming out white, even in a simple scene.

In my university the same scene comes out good. Only difference is they have Tiger and I have Leopard. I'm running Maya 2008 SP1, but even on 2009 the same thing goes again.

Thank you in advance.

djpitha
05-15-2009, 11:12 AM
are u using the luminance depth in maya ??????
if so //
also check ur camera range?????

check the set range shaders ???

pbraganca
05-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I am using Z-depth from render globals. I think it is not tweakable.

InfernalDarkness
05-15-2009, 07:13 PM
...in Maya Software, which is what the Global tag for Z-depth activates. I don't believe this activated Z-depth in mental ray though; at least it didn't in the past (Maya 6.0-8.5).

My guess is you'll have to use some kind of camera node and render a separate pass? Hope there's a better suggestion out there.

pbraganca
05-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Hum, like... if you do a new scene, make a poly cube, open render globals and activate z-depth, do a render, save the file, open with f-check and check the Z it is there right?

With me it just appears white even with a fresh new scene!

Autarkis
05-16-2009, 07:39 AM
I always found that clipping the zdepth pass in your compositing app will make the zdepth show up correctly. For some reason i could never make the zdepth appear the correct way in maya, and i'm way too lazy to connect extra nodes to my cameras, so i just do it in post :)

leif3d
05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Z-Depth is an unnormalized Float image, that's why its all white.

You need a compositing app that's capable of viewing and normalizing a float image to view it correctly.

Normalized or not, an application that is 32-bit Float natively like Fusion or Nuke, should be able to use this data for depth blurs even though you can't see it, because the data is there, it's just that the values are too small and the ranges too big for an 8 bit display.

Look up Zdepth in the search, this has already been discussed many times.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.