PDA

View Full Version : LW Skeleton Scence and meshes

Michael32766
07-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Hi,
Dave thanks for making the rig.
I have a few questions about your scence.
I have a mesh that I'm adjusting the rig to.
I load it into Modeler, add the mesh, adjust the bones there then load it into Layout and convert the skelegons to bones.
The problem I run into is the Leg links and eyes become unparented.

So what is the best way to add a mesh to the rig?
If I can get this worked out I may write a detailed tutorial on how to use the rig.

Also do you have weight maps assigned to the roll bones?
I'm trying to figure out where the bones should fall and where the weight maps should go.

Thanks,
mike

3DDave
07-17-2003, 07:37 PM
In layout you need to parent the eye bones to the head bone. The leg links and spine are pareneted to the hips.

Be sure that "parent in place" is on in the options menu.

Generally speaking this process is done all the time with Skelegons. Maybe in Lightwave 8 we will see real bone setup features?

The weight maps for the roll bones are the same as the bone the roll bone is for. Do NOT set "use weight map only" in the bone properties to limit influence. Instead set the bone influence to 1/64 or lower.

After you create your FBX file and animate and merge back to Lightwave then you can use "weight map only" if needed. Such as a robotic character that you don't want his arms to twist. Like C-3PO.

Michael32766
07-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks, I just had lunch with a friend of mine and he said the same thing.
That's what I get for spending all my time in Modeler.

I'm not sure what 8 is going to have.
Considering I may be doing demos with it at Siggraph you figure I would know.
Guess I'll find out the day before. :)

Mike

3DDave
07-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Be sure to tell us the day after!!!

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.