PDA

View Full Version : Animanium - obsoletes weight maps!?

gameboy
07-17-2003, 04:56 PM
It seems like this Animanium product should greatly simplify character rigging and animation, according to their web site.
www.animanium.com (http://www.animanium.com)

If I understand what they are saying, it appears traditional "weighting" methods for bones will not be necessary. Just choose the type of bone, which determines what it will be used for and its range of motion. The size of the bone in relation to the model geometry and the type of pivoting allowed by the bone(s) it is connected to will determine the influence of the bone on the character's mesh. :eek:

According to their emails, Animanium should be available in August, with a downloadable demo as well. The cost of the full product is $2000.

Does anyone know if they'll be at Siggraph this year?

danb
07-18-2003, 01:56 AM
seems pretty cool. i'm glad somone is putting out something else to the character animation scene. i was kind of dissapointed in kaydara and messiah. sony seems to have something there. time will tell.

jipe
07-23-2003, 09:53 PM
It's Sega, not sony, and if you watch the demo videos for Animanium, it appears that it requires segmented characters.. so weighting would still be required? We'll have to wait and see, I guess..

maelstrom
08-19-2003, 03:14 AM
no weighting anymore?
this is too good to be true, i only believe it when i see it firsthand...

it's like painting skin weights in Maya: sounds very nice but eventually you still end up tweaking weights in the component editor.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.